What to do with my 1.6 non turbo engine

Moderator: Fatmobile

bensmail
Glow Plug

What to do with my 1.6 non turbo engine

Post by bensmail »

Hi,

I've been fixing up an old '82 diesel vanagon for a little more then a year now. I've replaced the radiator, heater blower, valve cover gasket, muffler, shocks, bearings, timing belt, and many smaller parts. THe engine was rebuilt recently before I got it last year.... Painted it... some body work, and even installed a louvered window from a '78 westy.... well... now it decided to start leaking oil and transmission fluid... as I understand it the clutch has got some 90w oil on it now and makes noise. I just ordered a complete clutch kit and some other gaskets etc.. All this and I'm still doing 30mph up hill... and 55 on the highway. Anyone have suggestions about what if anything I should do about the engine? How hard is it to find and install a turbo kit? I've looked a bit with no luck. What is the easiest engine to find and install? I'd prefer staying with diesel but i'd rather do what's best.

Thanks
'82 WV Diesel Vanagon Camper
Best (but slowest) vehicle on earth!

buy a turbo engine for the parts??

Post by Guest »

I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a VW car with a 1.6L turbo engine just to use the turbo parts on my 1.6L non-turbo vanagon? Anyone have any ideas on this? If it's possible, what I should look for?

Thanks
coke

Post by coke »

Other than some minor air intake plumbing and exhaust issues, only a little modification is required to install a 1.6L TD in a Westy/Vanagon. Don't forget the larger oil pan and oil pump, either.
Josh
Turbo Charger

must swap ENTIRE engine, not just turbo stuff

Post by Josh »

If you're after more power, it is suicide to simply put a turbo-charger onto the stock 1.6. It will get too hot for the pistons and the head, and it will melt.

You need to consider a fully rebuilt engine; either a 1.6 or a turbo'ed 1.6; also consider the 1.9 turbo.

Have you checked compression, done a leakdown test, verified injector performance?

More info about the 1.9 turbo swap can be found; there are just enough people around the web who are doing it. Also, some folks are putting in the TDI engines. Both swaps aren't for the timid!
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

I have a 1.6TD out of a 1986 Jetta that needs rebuilding. It's missing the injection pump. I took the Jetta style intake/exhaust/turbo off to put on an engine that went into a Rabbit. But I have a Quantum intake/exhaust/turbo set up also. The turbo will probably need to be rebuilt. Email me if you're interested. smithpj1@verizon.net
Josh
Turbo Charger

quantum or jetta/rabbit turbo piping??

Post by Josh »

Mayor,

I wonder, which set up do you think will fit most easily? I also have both a full jetta and quantum turbo setup.

Once I've saved up enough to buy a 1.9 TD longblock, I guess I'll find out.

-Josh
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

The quantum TD has the correct intake/exhaust/turbo configuration to go right into the Vanagon. But if the jetta engine has lower miles, it might be worth swapping the quantum I/E/T over to the jetta engine. I believe the quantum engine has the same motor mounts as the vanagon, but I'm not certain.
VancouverVan

Melt That 1.6D

Post by VancouverVan »

I recently did the same project - new cooling system, much new electrical, replaced the burnt 1.6D with another just like it - a used factory rebuilt.

A mistake, that - I should've spent the cash for another option - I don't know which one, but I lean to a straight 1.9, as it's most similary and I don't like complicated cars or complicated swaps.

But I find I use my van grudgingly; 55 on Interstate 5 in Washington or Oregon is about 20 mph below the average. I feel endangered; I'd like to do at least 65.

Good luck!! Secretly, I think a Chevy 350 Vortex out of a Suburban would do wonders....
john.m

altrernative engine

Post by john.m »

I HAVE A 91 VAN THAT I CONVERTED TO DIESEL,I USED A 1.6 NA BLOCK WITH TURBO PISTONS&A 1.6TD HEAD[HYDRAULIC]. THE TURBO IS A LOW PRESSURE TURBO OF A ECO DIESEL TURNED UPSIDE DOWN FOR EASIER EXHAUST PIPEING AND THE USE OF A RAM AIR SYSTEM.AS COMPLACATED AS THIS MATCH SOUNDS IT IS EASY TO DO AND INCREASES HP FROM 52 TO APPROX 62.IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT jonnymmd@earthlink.net