bjuying diesel westy

Moderator: Fatmobile

carl

bjuying diesel westy

Post by carl »

Hi,

I am on the verge of buying a diesel Westy (actually, it's an ASI) and am wondering if there is anything specific to look out for...

Already on my are the normal old-car things like frame, bondo, major maintainance; vanagon things like body rust, coolant leaking into the head, and the state of camping stuff & pop-top seals. The current owner assures me itis in beautiful "like-new" condition and the asking price is pretty steep for an '83.

Anyone know of any other deal-killers on this vehicle? Does anyone know anything about the ASI conversion on a Vanagon, the only info on the web pertains to Type 2 buses.

Thanks,

Carl
bisc9270
Glow Plug

asi vanagon

Post by bisc9270 »

I currently own an immaculate 82 asi conversion vanagon. I personally like the overall quality of the conversion(no peelies of the westfalia) good overhead upholstery. They also have a converter in them and I believe a better design in the fridge. The toppers are nice since they go straight up but I personally don't like the small opening. Hope this helps.

Will
VancouverVan

Post by VancouverVan »

Be prepared to be underpowered.
Josh
Turbo Charger

rust places on westies/80's vans

Post by Josh »

Check for rust in the area under the front grill/above the bumper. This is a spot where rust tends to first start. If it's solid there, then most likely the rest of the van's bodywork is going to be sound.

The westies tended to leak water via the external hook-ups to the camping gear. Water would pool inside the side panel, causing the driver's side middle panel to rust out from the inside. I don't know if ASI conversions had the same issue, but it's worth bearing in mind.

If you're solid on the mechanical things to check with Vw diesels, then you're set, I'd guess.