Glow Plug Relay Not Working - Bl/Wh wire giving me problems

Moderator: Fatmobile

vwtopia
Cetane Booster

Glow Plug Relay Not Working - Bl/Wh wire giving me problems

Post by vwtopia »

Here is my problem. I've had the van on the road for about a week. Glow plugs and relay was working fine this past week. Saturday had problems getting it started. Sunday I had to "hotwire the glow plugs" to get it to start. I have no amber light on the dash anymore. Thought the relay was bad so I got a replacement (not new), didn't help, having the same problem. Pulled the engine temp senors off and tried starting it. Amber light comes on, my test light hooked to the glow plugs comes on, and I am able to start the engine. The amber light or my test light never turns off until I start it since the blue/white is disconnected. I can't believe the second relay is doing the same thing. (I don't have the first relay right now to try it, I can get it tomorrow). Any ideas what is causing the problem? I also have a wire that was cut off, it is a blue yellow but there looks to be two blue yellow wires there. Trying to track down the wiring on the schematics but it's hard with black and white schematics and very small print. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For now I guess I'm running it with the blue/white wire off and not letting the glow plugs burn out.
Kevin
vwtopia
Cetane Booster

Post by vwtopia »

I am wondering if my problem is with the engine temp sensors on the on the sender unit. There are two sensors and I have tried each one independently. Tomorrow I can take my ohm meter and test them like they say in the book.