Just want some simple camper info.....

Moderator: Fatmobile

Wingnut
Cetane Booster

Just want some simple camper info.....

Post by Wingnut »

So, the Vanagon campers have propane powered stove and fridge, right? They will both also work from battery and from external hookup? I haven't seen any indication that the Vanagons have a generator.

Also, is there A/C separate from the engine A/C that can run off propane or external hookup?

These questions will determine whether I get a nice Westy to play with :D , or we consider a trailer to pull behind the Kia Sedona. :(
Vancouver Van

Post by Vancouver Van »

Hi -

I think Vanagon Westy's w/ fridges were three-way: 12v, 110v via external hookup, and propane. I've never seen a one-way or two-way.

Not sure about the separate A/C, but I'd be stunned. I've seen lots of discussion about separate heaters, but not A/C.

There's pretty good information by model and year on

http://www.vanagon.com/

Just go to "info" then to "model information by year."

Good Luck!

Post by Guest »

Some of the bay window Westfalias had 2-way refrigerators, but not the Vanagons or Eurovans. Stoves weren't/aren't electric, but, as long as your wiring is in top shape, you can run an electric hot plate, toaster grille, or microwave with an appropriate inverter or 110V external hookup. (Microwave ovens pull well above their rating when first starting. Be a little 'oversafe' when selecting an inverter unit.)

Any RV-style generators, or A/C units powered by L.P. or 110V were not part of any VW factory package, with the exception of the Winnebago "Rialta" Class C, which used a VW Eurovan/Caravelle 'chassis/cab' as it's basic platform & running gear. Quite a few VW campers have been aftermarket eqipped with 110V A/C units, as well as roof-mounted evaporative("swamp cooler") A/C units.

A/C is sure nice, but any weight added to the top detracts from the vehicles handling capabilities. Choose priorities carefully!

Some of the Westies may have room in the back, on one side of the engine, for a small R.V. generator to be mounted. One would need to provide proper venting, etc, so fumes don't get in the cabin or tent. Noise is an issue with all generators and all people, but not all generators or all people are the same. Advice: Figure out how much noise you & your people can live with before shelling out the cash for a generator.

Some folks prefer to use an auxiliary bank of DEEP-cycle golf cart batteries & solar panels as alternative to internal combustion generators. My buddy uses 2 Trojan 6V cart batteries in series(plus his little group 24 battery for engine starting only) in conjunction with the solar panels mounted on his Westy. He says he can safely go at least 3 days/nights using microwave, lights, DVD player, CB radio & amp, stereo & amp, etc. before he starts the engine to recharge the auxiliary batteries. Solar panels don't add much weight to the top of a camper, and they sure are quiet!

J.R.