Diesel injector pump

Moderator: Fatmobile

westymom
Glow Plug

Diesel injector pump

Post by westymom »

Have '82 diesel westy that has blue smoke in idle and black smoke when on the road. Mechanic says he thinks injector pump needs to be replaced. How do you check for bad pump? could it just be injectors? Van sat up for several years, has gotten new seals washers gaskets, pulleys, head gasket, etc. Runs good, not much power, just smoke.
coke

Post by coke »

You might try retiming the engine or messing with the fuel load screw.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

injection pump

Post by Fatmobile »

I concider the pump to be 2 parts.
The vane pump, that pulls fuel into the pump ... and the pressure head.
If the vane pump is bad, fuel won't flow from the return line. Look at some of the old posts about how to bring a VW diesel back to life, especially the part about flushing the pump, the "OUT" bolt.
I keep hearing that if the pressure head is bad it will start when cold but not start after the engine and fuel have heated up.
I hear the valve seals get dry after sitting for awhile.
westymom
Glow Plug

Post by westymom »

Had timing adjusted, Power is much better (38mph uphill in 4th). Still smoking. Mech says oil is full of sludge. (oil has been changed 3 times recently). Mech suggested putting ATF in Oil.(not in fuel, in oil)! Has anyone ever heard of this?
hoyt
Diesel Freak

Post by hoyt »

westymom wrote:Had timing adjusted, Power is much better (38mph uphill in 4th). Still smoking. Mech says oil is full of sludge. (oil has been changed 3 times recently). Mech suggested putting ATF in Oil.(not in fuel, in oil)! Has anyone ever heard of this?
I would not put ATF in the motor oil. If you want to clean
out your motor either switch to a synthetic oil (IE: Mobil 1 15-50)
or get some http://www.auto-rx.com . And make sure that
you use a diesel rated motor oil.
--John
'82 Diesel Vanagon
westymom
Glow Plug

Post by westymom »

Thanks, I felt the same way!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Just keep changing the oil a little on the early side for a while. Use something diesel rated, like Rotella, or if you're in Canada,I use Petro-can Duron oils. Never took apart a motor yet that I'd run for any length of time that had any sludge at all. EXCEPT!!! when I had coolant getting into the oil (cracked sleeve on a big cummins.)