Starter 1.9L

Moderator: Fatmobile

zonetrap

Starter 1.9L

Post by zonetrap »

Gotta question for you guys (and gals).

I bought a Westy over 2 years ago. The PO replaced the 1.6L Diesel with a
1.9L Diesel. I know he got the engine from the Diesel Owners Manual, and
the engine was from Canada, thats about all I know of the swap. Well, it seems the starter is shot on it and needs replacing. Are the starters for a 1.6L and a 1.9L different?
Thanks
coke

Post by coke »

I'm fairly certain a starter from a 1.6L will work, and DONT use the gear reduction starters.. JUNK. See if you can get a 1.6L Direct Drive.
zonetrap

Post by zonetrap »

Thanks coke!
zonetrap

Post by zonetrap »

Know of any good places (sites) to get a 1.6L Direct Drive Starter?
coke

Post by coke »

Wrecking yards are usually the best place to get them. Just tell them you need a starter for a 1.6L Diesel from the 1980-1984 era and you should be able to find one. The gear reduction starters are small, and are nothing but pure junk, don't waste your time with one.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

buy a starter

Post by Fatmobile »

I just saw a new one over on vwvortex.com A1 classifieds for $45.
That's where I'd look. The ads are free.
Zonetrap

Post by Zonetrap »

http://motors.search.ebay.com/vw-diesel ... sofocusZbs

Would either of these work? Crap? Just getting some insight, I have a buddy who is going to help me with it.
srivett
Turbo Charger

Post by srivett »

I would take it apart and bring it to a starter rebuild shop. They'll be able to tell you if it is junk or if they have the parts you need. Starter parts are quite inexpensive too.

Steve
1992 4-door Golf 1.6l
Currently 418K and climbing :)
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

Starter failures are often just the solenoid, which you can clean up yourself. Take it apart and give it a good lube job; then test wire the starter up to your battery and see if that doesn't do the trick!

The protective shrouds around the gear for the starter don't protect the device from dust and dirt generated from the flywheel. This crap eventually gets into the mechanism, and can cause it to stick. Just a thought that might save you some cash!

-Josh