Diesel Vanagon w/AC?

Moderator: Fatmobile

hihorn@dslextreme.com

Diesel Vanagon w/AC?

Post by hihorn@dslextreme.com »

Has anyone ever put an AC system into a diesel vanagon? What about with a turbo? I may do this, so any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Rex
mpdetwiller@ec.rr.com

Post by mpdetwiller@ec.rr.com »

1, AC is not an option in the westy diesel. if you want to cut the rear engine lid
then maybe you can have it inplace but the injection pump is in the way. The inline 4 gas engine from the newly done convervion kits FROM TYCO CAN HAVE AC.but ac in a diesel with1.6 or and upgrageto1.9 would take away from inj. pump theres no room. If your camping i have used a window unit before. I prefer rolling down the windows(2- 55)haha.

2. installing a turbo in a vanagon diesel is possiable i've done it to
my 1982 diesel westy, I,am in the May issue of VW TRENDS at grandfather mountain in NC.
First the parts you will need are exhuast manifold from an
1984 volkswagen Quatum because the turbo is pushed back to one side
unlike the turbo in the golf or jetta is in the middle,the parts can be used
on a golf or jetta if you are using the same motor i recommend that a turbo motor is used. its not the same as an 1.6 aspratied motor it lacks
the oil jets that lubricates the piston skirts.
the turbo can be used from any t-diesel VW. if the intake and the exhaust
don't line up where you need it the turbo needs to clocked or(rotated)
this does not mean you have to dissmantle the turbo.
all in all this can be very easy,the intake is easy to get, it's more common
the down pipe is tight but your locale muffer shop can make it.
next the turbo will need the return line drilled to the oil pan. For the oil line is needed use to lubricate the turbo this connected to the turbo from the oil housing on a td motor do not make this parts factory parts fits rite on from any diesel. The only modification that is needed is the drilling of the oil pan.
john m

ac in van

Post by john m »

i have 1.6td in my 91 van with ac and pwr steering.you will need to mount the alt on the right side of the compressor after you refabricate the belt adjustment bracket.the ps pump is mounted low on the engine on the drivers side
Koloski
Glow Plug

Post by Koloski »

I used a serpentine belt set up for AC in my diesel vanagon.
go to http://zsimports.com/Mechanical/index.htm scroll down to ENGINE HARDWARE it's temporarily out of stock, but you can all and ask when it WILL BE IN STOCK. I got a VOLVO Compessor from a junkyard. It's the same size & shape as the compressor VW used on the wasserboxer vanagons, but it has the serpentine belt fan clutch & pulley, and was designed to use R134a. BOLTS RIGHT UP to the bracket pulley is in perfect alignment.
hihorn

diesel vanagon a/c

Post by hihorn »

I came up with a different approach. Too many people told me of the horrors of a/c on a diesel vanagon. So, I set out to do it differently. I took the compressor from a junk yard Jetta TD and a used electric motor sold as a water pump motor on "Hot Rods". Mounted them to a steel plate (later, isolated them with thick rubber), mounted a relay and them hooked up a receiver/drier, etc... I found it mounted better under the van on the passenger side. I have a 2-battery set up in the van, so for fun I used a remote control designed for starting the car's engine from a distance. I used this to "Pre-Cool" the van on hot days. Worked very well and all parts were easy to get from the salvage yard. It is nowhere near the engine compartment and there is no power loss. I have an idea for a "Passive" a/c unit that I'll work on this summer.
Performance Nut

Vanagon AC

Post by Performance Nut »

Genuis!!!!
I heard about you. Is your van still getting over 100 miles per gal.? Did you buy Kennedy engineering's test van? Let us know about the new air system.