how to remove the starter

Moderator: Fatmobile

nortbort

how to remove the starter

Post by nortbort »

I was wondering if anyone has a wright up on how to remove the starter on a 83 diesel, or if you have any pointers.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Not '83, but '82

Post by Josh »

I've not any info specific to the '83, but I'm quite certain that it's starter is mounted in the exact same location, with the same sorts of things going on around it, as on the '82.

The only pointer that I'd give is to, when you remove it, do so from under the vehicle, reaching around the transmission, one arm on each side.

And when re-installing it, be sure that the driver's side bolt attaching point is pressed firmly up against the transmission, with the clutch accessory hanger ON THE BACK of the starter, not between the starter and the transmission. I screwed this up once, and it took me quite a while to notice what I had done. It was an easy mistake, given that you can't see what you're doing when you reach around the tranny.

As long as you're taking the starter out, you might as well clean up the electrical connections well. If you're removing the starter because of starting problems, often times it's just the solenoid which is failing, and you can just clean it up, open it up and refresh the lubrication inside, re-attach it to the starter, and check out it's functionality by jumping it to a battery.

If it works well after removing it, your problems could well be in the starter switch itself rather than the starter; this is a very common problem for a poorly maintained or rarely driven van of this era. If jumpering the starter works, replace the ingition and related circuits with either new ones, or one of the ignition upgrades offered by the various bus specialty websites.

I hope this helps,

-Josh

'82 westy
'79 rabbit
'83 quantum wagon
'84 quantum sedan
diesel dunk
Cetane Booster

Post by diesel dunk »

My van won't start suddenly - there is power, but the starter is dead or maybe the solenoid - do you advise that I take the whole unit off or begin with just the solenoid - also, what do you lubricate things with? is it petrol?

Cheers,

Duncan
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Check out the battery ground strap. :wink:

Andrew
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

I lubricated with white lithium grease. And I'd remove the entire starter, not bothering to try to address the solenoid by itself when the starter is installed in the diesel van.

-Josh
diesel dunk
Cetane Booster

Post by diesel dunk »

Hey Josh,

How did you take the solenoid apart - I got mine off the starter but it looks sealed - also which terminals did you use to test - I assumed that the body is the earth and 12V on terminal 50 would activate the plunger, but bentley had this diagram where you need terminal 30 and 50 both with +Volts for it to work. Is there a simple test? Appreciate any advice, as it might save me a few pounds...

Duncan.