conversion nightmare

Moderator: Fatmobile

fast heart mart
Glow Plug

conversion nightmare

Post by fast heart mart »

I know I'm not supposed to mention other companies on here but I think this is one everyone should be careful of in my experience. I bought a converted 1982 westfalia vanagon from a certain company that is suppososed to specialize in conversions, last week. It has a brand new 1.9 turbo diesel engine and a "highway transmission". I drove it from his place in Las Vegas Nevada to about 20 miles outside of Albuquerque New Mexico and the engine blew. I knew something was wrong when the clutch went out but thought I could make it home (20 miles). That's when I heard the big bang and clang. A local mechanic here in town says the clutch plate cracked and shattered and the parts flew into the engines main seal .The guy who sold it to me won't even return my phone calls now. I paid alot of money for it. I signed a paper saying "as is no warranty". It was doing 65 pretty well... even on hills. I was so excited as I'm a traveling musician and thought this would be great for my traveling. Now I have no money and no ride. What would you guys do in my situation? The local opinions I've gotten say that my engine is shot.
Last edited by fast heart mart on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

ad

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, this is an ify one.
Definately not a glowing endorsement but it looks like the place does compete directly with Jack on many items so you should probably remove the name of the business.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You should check with the Department of Motor Vehicles in NM and Nevada. Some states have a built in guarantee on large mechanical failures from vehicles purchased from car sales places (Arizona does for sure). Whether or not a place is a used car lot is determined by how many vehicles they sell in a year. I am sure that the company you bought the van from would be legally a used car lot. If Nevada has the built in warranty then you can get your money back.

Andrew