bump that compression

Moderator: Fatmobile

caveman
Diesel Freak

bump that compression

Post by caveman »

there may be a thread about this somewhere else, but how about installing an aaz or iz or ahu motor without the turbo,and instead bumping the compression with a thinner headgasket? i'm sure someone has tried this somewhere. If i remember the compression on those motors is 19:1. couldn't you put it up one or two points to get a bit more power. You won't have as much power without the turbo, but more than stock and a lot less headache.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

How is the turbo a headache? If that's a headache, then Advil and Tylenol would be going out of business...

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

turbo

Post by stopping »

Howdy Caveman,

You inspected my rusty gas vanagon and we talked about putting a aaz into my diesel van on St.V. Thanks. I see you buzzing around town in your aaz jetta.

Don't you think the turbo (esp. intercooled) is worth the trouble (ie expense)? It is so much more efficent with the higher comp ratio and far exceeds the n/a type, don't you think? My motor is pushing a heavy van and the efficiency is the same but with twice the power as the 1.6 n/a.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

i was thinking more for someone who doesn't have the expertise, place,or money to fabricate the motor mount, oil plumbing,etc.
By just pushing the compression i would think you get maybe 60-79 hp and 90 lbs of torque and it would be basically just an engine swap.
Not as much as a turbo, but better than the stock 40 hp[or whatever pathetic amount it is].BTW Dylan has bought a 84 diesel camper AND.AND,AND i am quiting vw and opening a shop soon, partly for vege-oil conversions
1971 super beetle

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Any lowered compression ratio will be from a larger combustion chamber rather than head gasket thickness. Using a smaller gasket will bump the compression a 1/2 pt, but bring the pistons dangerously close to valves. I wouldn't do it on my own van and only on someone else's if I had a signed disclaimer. Additionally, it would be much more involved, difficult and expensive to swap the headgasket than to alter the driver's side mount for clearance. 48hp is the stock D-V.

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

left side turbo friendly motor mount

Post by stopping »

The AAZ install is really not difficult. I am a bit of a hack and managed to do a good job. I Dylan already has the 1.6d then he has the all the hard to find parts too. The AAZs are plentifull in Quebec with all the diesel freaks here.... mine was $1000 and started on the first few cranks after pump was primed. They are really excelent engines.

I can help with left bracket if need be. It is carfull and tedious work but dosn't take very long. I built it with 1/2x2" bar w 5/16x1-1/2" for the block side bolts. I think it is within a millimeter of the orginal position. I used my grinder 1/2" chuck drill and a little mig wealder to tack it, then I brought it to a welding shop where they hit it with the big hot mig welds. Spray paint pi-tout!

If you want help sussing out spaces or want someone who knows buildings well I would like to help. You can reach me here or though velo villneuve or Maclean.
mesicc
Glow Plug

Post by mesicc »

What is an aaz motor?
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

Hey stopping. yeah i had a place on 15th ave and the met but good thing i didn't sign the lease because there are NO garage licenses to be had in montreal. I will work at home for now until i can buy or rent a garage with the permits. Just got the jetta chipped today; gonna change the nozzles for the injectors- looking at up to 250 ft. lbs of torque...yee haaaa!!! also there will be a vege -oil conference on may 14th somewhere
1971 super beetle

stopping
Diesel Freak

convertion

Post by stopping »

Well summer is here... sort of... I promised my van I would be eating veggy this season and combine that with $1.20/L and halaluya.

I'll be going over to the bio-fuel forum soon but tell Dylan if he hasn't got it planned out yet I have some ideas and I want to get in on a Viton hose order. I saw a potentially good garage to work in for rent in Mile End. Just a 1.5 (sm dble) space but has potential for weekend type use. $150/m behind Park Ave S of Villeneuve.