torsion bar

Moderator: Fatmobile

grampatom
Glow Plug

torsion bar

Post by grampatom »

The steel link that fastens the end of the torsion bar to the front suspension, driver's side, snapped off. My question is, since I can't see any way to slide that part of, with its rubber isolator, off the torsion bar, is it necessary to replace the torsion bar and the links as an assembly? Or is it possible to slide the rubber isolator over the expanded end of the torsion bar? The repair manual is silent on this issue.

gramp
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

There were not any diesels vanagons that had torsion bar suspensions. You might want to go to www.thesamba.com and discuss it in the "Bay window" forum.

Andrew
grampatom
Glow Plug

Post by grampatom »

Right, my vanagon, and I presume all of them, has coil springs all around. It also has a thick torsion bar across the front that ties the right and left sides together, to damp vertical motion. When I was a kid we called them sway bars or anti-sway bars, Bentley calls it a torsion bar...whatever you call it, I did figure out how to get the broken link off the end of it. Generous squirts of lithium grease spray and a gear puller. Nothing to it. Putting the new one back on was only a little harder.

I do remember the torsion bar suspension of the old bugs, and of old Chrysler products, too.

Thanks,

gramp
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Ah, yes, I would call it an anti-sway bar as well. Thought you had a bus. Sorry.

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

sway bar

Post by stopping »

Hey Gramps,

I just got an old one and re-enforced the disks/ washers with thinker stainless ones. My friend had luck drilling out and tapping the sway bar "link" and replacing it with a good quality bolt (m10 er so and a high pressure one too).

I have never been lucky enough to have one I could not remove with greese and wiggling.

Good luck
grampatom
Glow Plug

Post by grampatom »

Thanks, Stopping.

I retrieved a link off a junker and installed it. Amazing the difference in handling and steering with that bar moored at both ends. There's also a bushing at the base of that link that rusts away. Will need to get a better replacement for that also.
stopping
Diesel Freak

Signiture

Post by stopping »

Gramps.... just a word about the forum here.

It helps folks if they know what vehicule your talking about without having to reread all that was writen. So what we do is put the vehicule in question in our signatures at the bottom of every post.

Talk to you soon