Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I was thinking of another solution which isn't the total answer but might work. So I'll put it out there. Put a metering valve on the return line. Then a gage up stream of the valve. They could be mounted on the dash. With a spec. graff showing rpm and proper pressure you could set it up for high cruising. I think you would have to run the return line from the injectors down stream of the metering valve. This is something I just thought up so if you see problems with it please speak-up. I'm thinking the pressure relief valve would stop any over pressure situations but I'm not sure with out the orifice fully open. It would be interesting to try this set-up with a lift pump if it wouldn't get up to pressure just using just the valve. Maybe you could get a old warn out pump to act like new.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

91TD Jetta[/quote]

Code: Select all

[quote="surfcam"]I was thinking of another solution which isn't the total answer but might work. So I'll put it out there. Put a metering valve on the return line. Then a gage up stream of the valve. They could be mounted on the dash. With a spec. graff showing rpm and proper pressure you could set it up for high cruising. I think you would have to run the return line from the injectors down stream of the metering valve. This is something I just thought up so if you see problems with it please speak-up. I'm thinking the pressure relief valve would stop any over pressure situations but I'm not sure with out the orifice fully open. It would be interesting to try this set-up with a lift pump if it wouldn't get up to pressure just using just the valve. Maybe you could get a old warn out pump to act like new.

It would have to operate fairly automatically else 'events' on the road could overtake the situation and leave you in a panic. What goes wrong with a vane pump? Is it scouring from the vanes? or side wear. Surely its serviceable like the oil pumps... with abrasives or some kind of shimming'
:shock: baked bean tin springs to mind :shock: ?
Always have a spare pump to hand or are they prohibitively expensive?
:twisted: I have 4 pumps for three complete setups for soon to be only II 'Q's... :twisted:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I was wonder if you or Hagar had changed the orifice to make up of a warn vain pump. The only concern I have is blowing some o-ring out or worth case scenario cracking the case. This could only happen if Bosh designed the pressure regulator valve minus the flow out the orifice. If that's the case one should try and find out the pressure rating of the case and hook a pop valve off the return line just to be safe.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Here is what I learned about the VANE pump --it has four major functions.

1. Get the fuel from tank. ---2. Supply pressure for Timing system. --- 3 . Supply pressure for charging ----high pressure Plunger system. 4. Supply COOLING of pump.

Pressure in pump body ? ---think 100 to 200 Psi.----will pressure blow seals and or O rings ? ---------------------IMHO yes. ----what is maximum design pressure for a 107A type pump body ?
Lets get after BOSCH and find out. ---my guess is about 500 psi.

Here is the GOOD news --- most sealing --is easy to replace.

hagar.

PS : I never run a pump with anything but a proper BOSCH orifice ---BUT I do have a needle wave --that I am going to try ---after the orifice.--- By the way the adapter of Andrew in Flagstaff --looks real good to me ---I have one of those brass extensions --just can't find it right now.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

All that GREEN you see on hagars pictures ? --I call it my CARBON sink. ----the weeds here , take up more CO2 than Bunny Bondo produces. ----SO ? I say my carbon footprint --can not be detected.

a negative footprint ? ----EH ?.

hagar.
coues7
Cetane Booster

Post by coues7 »

Libbybapa (Andrew) have you installed one of the mechanical pumps to keep the pressure going to the IP more consistent?

Hagar,

If we install one of the gauges testing the pressure going from the return on the IP to the fuel tank and then pulling on the cold start knob to advance/retard timing? That what I gather from this whole reading the internal pressure thing.....I assume the return banjo on top of the pump some how tells the internal pressure of the pump which is somehow important to fuel mileage
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Here is what I learned about the dynamic timing system. ----the timing piston operates on differential pressure between main gallery in pump and inlet banjo. ----The advance is most important at maximum fuel injection ( say maximum power).

Owners manual for sweet Bunny Bond states that the 1.6 L NA Max power is 52 HP at 4800 RPM.

1.6L Turbo --- 68 HP at 4500 RPM. --if the injection point , does not advance accordingly ----NO supersmileage is possible.

I posted pressure increase per RPM --so you can calculate --pressure at 4800 RPM ----that is a lot of pressure.

hagar.
coues7
Cetane Booster

Post by coues7 »

Hagar.....so where are we taking our reading at: inlet, outlet (return) or somewhere else? Also has anyone found a place that has double sided banjo fittings or longer bolts?

Hagar....on my particular setup I don't have the cold start pull.....do I need to get one? I have the knob in the cab but the part on the pump was removed....I assume it leaked. Thanks
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

For testing a PUMP ? the IP .? no need for a cold start cable ---just test flow ---simple.

But do NOT forget the 450 gram WAX test.---IT tells it ALL..

Bunny Bondo is proof that --what I say is correct. ----

hagar.
coues7
Cetane Booster

Post by coues7 »

Hagar.....I believe you, I believe you. I'm looking for answers. If you remember I've already added 450 grams (1 US lb) of wax. The noise level went down but nothing else really changes. I have a 1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L with only 50K on it.....it never smoked. Since adding the wax.....it still doesn't smoke. At night when I drive as I accelerate I can seem smoke and if I'm driving and it's not smoking if I "goose" it I see smoke.....so now we are on to the next thing.

IP internal pressure or the pressure differential.....the question is where are we taking the reading? inlet, outlet (return) or somewhere else?

What do we do once we get the reading?

Thanks
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Pressure is ---PSIG from main gallery.

hagar.
coues7
Cetane Booster

Post by coues7 »

WHERE ARE WE TAKING THE READING FROM??????
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Horrible Hagar lingo explained :--- I use the word "GANG" a lot and flyboy , and so on.

Pump Gang ? --anyone who touched or fooled around with the BOSCH masterpiece 107 A pump 109 and so on that can be used on a RABBIT. -----The credo ? ---" WE CAN DO IT ".

hagars sez ----NO question is too stupid.

hagar.

PS : hope start a 450 gram WAX gang. --I am one member ? EH ? # 1. ?