diesel bug???

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

would it be worth while to throw a 1.6 in a bug?

great idea
63%
sounds like a pain in the proverbial butt
38%

Total votes: 8

canman
Cetane Booster

diesel bug???

Post by canman »

i was wondering if anyone had thoughtof putting a 1.6 into an old beetle
I wonderhow much ofa painthat would be???

just putting that out there to stew
vegitarian 1991 passat 1.6 td
cold little 91 golf "no vegies in winter"
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I wouldn't be my choice but maybe it's just me. I'm a fan of putting the 1.6 into to a mid-engine car(like a X1/9 Fiat, MR2, Fiero, or VW bus transaxle and everything transversally. My reason is that I just don't like Hypo gears. There's a 20% penalty on these rear ends. I think your in for a major under taking the accomplish this but what every makes you happy.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

I did find a discussion forum once with a section for putting inline-4s into Beetles. Only two posts though. You can fit an I4 in the back of a Vanagon that originally came with a flat-4, but the Beetle compartment is too small methinks.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Using bug trans it would be difficult but very doable.
1. It would bolt to trans easily with adapter plate that is easily available. 2. Engine would need a crossmember and mounts built. The size of all the I4 stuff would make it necessary to have the rear of the car cut off like a baja, with no deck lid and it would hang out there like a monstrosity.
3. Trunk would have to be cut up to fit a radiator in there with some massive coolant lines run to front.
4. Coolant lines would be difficult to run. They may have to go in the passanger compartment. Man that would be hot.

Now what if you cut the front of a rabbit and welded it into the front of a bug to make the engine sit in sideways, eliminating the back seat, and hid it under the bug body???????? (probably not possible)

Difficult project. But it sure would be neat either way.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: diesel bug???

Post by CoolAirVw »

i was wondering if anyone had thoughtof putting a 1.6 into an old beetle
I wonderhow much ofa painthat would be???

just putting that out there to stew
I dont think it would be a paint hat at all.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

I think there's already been one made from the factory.
wadada
Cetane Booster

Post by wadada »

89 Fox Diesel, too many Saabs, 59 Chevy Truck