Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

surfcam : are you WRONG ? --yes but not more than the rest of us. ---WE are all a mixture of right and wrong.---jep hagar too.

The Vane pump output does not go to the cam pump --the Pressure control valve is in between.
SUCTION ? --the cam pump would cavitate ---if it was not PRESSURE charged.---them are small holes.

I take absolutely NO pleasure out of telling people --that they are wrong ----BUT I do like to tell people --that they are RIGHT.

hagar.

PS : I like to polish my image as the VW diesel FUN guy.--(geezer). oh and by the way I never take no offense.----if you can get my goat ? you are a MASTER.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Please keep correcting me if I'm wrong these Bosch pumps are new to me so I'm on a steep learning curve. Honestly myself self esteem can take it. A week ago I was unaware that the pressure control valve even existed. So what your saying is that the not enough pressure on the down stream side of the pressure control valve to stop the cam pump from cavitating.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Step # 2. : There are several parts..

# 2 a --Pull-test , or Flow-test or both. # 2 b ----450 gram WAX to a tankfull . After getting some numbers --come back here and WE (the pump gang) will help you.

I am trying to dream up a new word ----like PUMPOLOGY ? maybe or if you have a really snappy one , let us know.

Doyt Echelberger in OHIO ---has helped me along like crazy. (very smart man). IMHO.

hagar.

PS : mail me a blotter test and I shall read it for you. oh if the Flow-test is A-ok and Pull-test ratio is 2 to 20.---move forward to TUNING.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Breaking the Boschite Secret Code...

Boschite ... misinformation by VW engineers.

Boschitism ... the creed.

Boschitist ... the pupil

Boschiter ... the teacher

Bosch ... the German :o

Boschine ... the IP

almost forgot:
Boschip ... the LDA
Last edited by Quantum-man on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Thank you Mark Shepherd ----that is a good start.

When I change oil I am a " Tribologist " when I TUNE ? EH ? I am a TUNE-sian ? EH ? ---when I fool around with the pumps----EH ? I am a a a " Pumpologist " ? ---there are possibilities. ? EH ?.

" Injectionist " ? ----well whatever I am having FUN. ---- and Bunny Bondy is PURRING. .

hagar.
coues7
Cetane Booster

Post by coues7 »

Andrew,

When you get back would you mind posting some pics of where exactly you screw your fuel pedestal with the gauge fitting into? I'm assuming it's worth making one of these nice since it will need to stay in the car so we can have a constant pump reading right?

Thanks
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Explanation of hagars pictures. :

Fatmobile wanted to see how I connected pressure gauge to pump. ----the adapter shown is
a " PROTOTYPE " --- it took about 15 minutes to make. ---Page 25 shows the final
version ---or like Mark Shepherd would say --- Mk.2.

The blotter test shown is ---what ALL rabbits should try to get to.---( lots of TUNING
needed)-----took me years to get to that stage.----with a lot of support from a lot of
really smart , brainy ,educated people.
Thank you ALL wherever you are and whoever you are. ---ask me do I have friends ? --my
answer ?------if you are a friend --? yes you have friends.------hagar is no fair-weather
friend.

So was all this TUNING hard WORK ? ---no no no it was all PLAYTIME. ----if you are a
begginner ? do not give up. ----it can be done.----BUT ? yes it is time consuming.

hagar.

PS : grinning my way by that Shell Station ----wow. NOW that is Smileage.
coues7
Cetane Booster

Post by coues7 »

What exactly does n/a mean....I don't have one of those fitting anywhere on my 107 pump. I do have the return banjo and what not just not that fitting. Pardon my stupidity.

Thanks
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

coues7 wrote:What exactly does n/a mean....I don't have one of those fitting anywhere on my 107 pump. I do have the return banjo and what not just not that fitting. Pardon my stupidity.

Thanks

Normally Asperated ie no turbo to shove air down its throat... Should be Atmospherically /Asperated in my oppinion!
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
coke

Post by coke »

I have heard two versions, naturally aspirated and normally aspirated, or Naturally Asthmatic. :)

Guess thats really 3 versions.. pardon me.
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

libbybapa wrote:
Bruce wrote:Quote:Here is what I learned about the dynamic timing system. ----the timing piston operates on differential pressure between main gallery in pump and inlet banjo. ----The advance is most important at maximum fuel injection ( say maximum power).

I'm not sure your add on mechanical pump idea will work if it is connected at the inlet banjo because it will be charging the whole system. According to Hagars quote you have to have a pressure differential across the timing advance piston. How about if you connect it after the vane pump somehow.
This is an excellent point. I am currently away from home, but will investigate when I return. Very, very good point.

Andrew
So...are we now saying that adding a mechanical (off a gasser) "lift" pump between the tank and pump inlet is a bad idea???
I thought others had done this using electric pumps with good results??

BTW.....I've been adding appx 2 oz (by weight) wax,and a few oz (by volume) of "Diesel Kleen" additive at every fill up,for the last 6 weeks.
This has raised my milage several MPG.
No noticable power increase,though. No matter, though,as:

Today I topped off the tank at 239 miles. It took 4.66 gallons. Which is 51.29 MPG. (All USA #'s) Not bad considering it was a mixture of some city and some highway driving.

I've got to take a few pix of my car and post them here. It deserves some "Fame".
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
'84 TDI-M GTI w/ALH and VNT,in the works!
1.6D-Nut
Turbo Charger

Lift Pump

Post by 1.6D-Nut »

Here is a quote from another site:
"everything everything everything ive ever seen with a bosch ve injector pump,like trucks and equipment,, has a electric lift pump,,,,,vw just cheaped out,,it was a cost thing i believe, i mean it works but when you turn it up you will notice,and i do feel a power increase/throttle response,,,,i couldnt feel it on the street,but at the strip,once in 4th i could feel it "laying down"( like it was running out of fuel,,a slight hesitation,,couldnt tell on the street,,,,couldnt go fast enough),,,on the top end,when you need the fuel,,after the lift pump,,it doesnt do that stuff anymore,,,,,,,,its easier to push fuel,than pull it,,that lil lift pump in the injector pump is stressed tryin to pull fuellike 6-8 feet from tank."

Adding a lift pump seemed to work for him.
Thoughts???
Always 3-5 A1's on hand!
'84 TDI-M GTI w/ALH and VNT,in the works!
canman
Cetane Booster

Post by canman »

I could be wrong but i believe that the VE6 system used on the dodge ram 5.9l cummins did not have a lift pump either... the other pump systems used on that truck(ie. vp44 and inline) i believe did
vegitarian 1991 passat 1.6 td
cold little 91 golf "no vegies in winter"