Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

canman
Cetane Booster

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by canman »

hagar wrote:" I call the 107A pump ---the holy grail. ----that is where everlasting "SMILEAGE" is to be found.

That pump is , incredibly complex. -------do I agree that to really control a diesel , we need a ECU ?---YES. Will a ECU work on a VW whirlchamber engine ? ---YES. --- Direct or Indirect injection ---has nothing to do with ECU or no ECU.

I am staying with the 107A ---NO ECU.

hagar.
the tdi pump if i have read correctly is just a ve like your 107 only instead of a mechanical governor it has a ecu and electronic actuators.

on a side note recently I saw a VE4 with about 20 lb worth of periferals for emmisions controlls it was ... sick . perverting a little pump like that.
it would have made bondo cry.
vegitarian 1991 passat 1.6 td
cold little 91 golf "no vegies in winter"
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think that VW with real bad vain pump a feed pump will make it run. But as the rpm increases your pump won't advance enough at higher rpms. The feed pump charge pressure would make the differential smaller across the pressure control valve it likely wouldn't advance enough. IMOP the only way to get it close to spec or advance alittle is buy a new pump, add wax, put acid on the pressure control valve spring and weaken it or pinch back on the return line (definitely at your own risk on that one). I think the vain pump supplies more that enough fuel when the vains are in desent shape.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Andrew in Flagstaff --is like I said a senior "Pumpologist" and his booster pump experiments ---are very very interesting to me.

And I NEVER get tired of discussing Pumpology. or Hillbilly TUNING. ----if you are a good chess-player or good at algebra ? --step in really carefully ---this stuff is ADDICTIVE.------yes I hear ya.
You are driving a Rolls Diesel.?.

If you look at hagars pictures , you will see my TOYS in front of my humble abode. Two 1.5L NA ready and running. I take a pump 107A drill a small hole in piston cover (spring end) run a small line to filter.
In my juncpile are lots of small electric pumps ---bingo --test in progress. The drilling from piston to vane pump is easy to block.

hagar.

PS : Mark Shepherd where are you when we need you ?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Today I had a PM from hængemule --from Wisconsin. , (USAF type) --- interesting. --he talks about Alaska. .----My favorite road is Pacific Coastal Highway --101. ----but the Alaska road might be a good one to try.----at 70 miles on a gallon ? EH ?. (Imp gallons).

Yes anyone and everybody --is welcome any time. ---BUT bring your sleeping bags and kids. and what not.------Lots of room ----the place is a mess ---so do not complain.
Tons of pure water and commercial size septic system. ----we Bonny Bondo and I ----are always available for VW Diesel talk. How many people can we handle at any one time ? 100 easy.

Give me a call ahead of time ---so I can stock the "Maytag" ----- (it has an Ice maker) ----cold beer is in.
Be careful there are diesel fuel samples in freezer and fridge.

My fantasy is that an old classmate drops in , USAF -class of 55-H ---it may just happen.
When I sat on top of that incredible German Jumo aircraft diesel in 1945 ---I never dreamed that I would tell guys how to TUNE diesels in 2006. --wow.

Jumos had two pistons per cylinder.----nice design. ----next I sat on top of 20 cylinder aircraft diesels in E Boats.----German "E" boats ? --3 x 20 cylinder aircraft diesels ---yes 60 cylinders.----a sportscar of the briny blue.----I could have driven one ---but I never did.----I just enjoyed the ride.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Many years ago ----some USA guy coined the phrase " Hagarisims "---yeah a bit Franklin type stuff..
when I write about my experience with DIESELS ----I weave in a bit of this und dat..
An ounce of prevention ? EH ? (WAX) ---and a stitch in time saves nine ? EH ?.-----Franklin liked sayings and Hitler liked sayings and hagar likes sayings.

I wrote a piece called " Rabbit droppings " for Dan's forum ---and frankly I am proud of the thing. ----but due to being so outspoken and OPINIONATED and the fact that the postings could not be removed or changed by me ---I got in troubles.----

Why am I proud ? ---from a slum and flunking English to write a thing like that ? --would you not be proud ?----do NOT answer that.

I met a lot of wonderful people on the VW diesel forums ----and one stands out ---Doyt Echelberger and his wife Lois.----The son David was in a car misshap --and the way they stand by the kid is a tearjerker.
Doyt Echelberger is a role model for me ----I wish I could be that good.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--
[ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ]
Will 1.5 liter pump work ok on 1.6 liter engine ? Thanks

above is hagars very first post on Dan's ---the answer ? from Gary Bangs in florida ? --affirmative.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I am an Old Dane ---and when I WAX sentimental ? --I am at my best. IMHO.

School inspector Østrup ---in København ? ---my Hero no ifs or buts. ---I grew up in a country of incredible LOVE consideration respect and COMPASSION. ---so lucky I was.

Danmark 1932 to 1955 --a great time. ----a Country that really really looks after the BROOD ? --will go on to great things --IMHO.

The Inspector managed to get the State Railroad to give FREE tickets to poor kids ---to go and spend the summer on Farms all over Danmark.---what a gass --what FUN --I was one of the lucky ones. ---to the day I die ---Thank You Mr. Østrup.-----yes I was on one of those ----smokey steam trains ---and the underground must have informed London UK not to strafe or bomb. ---thousands of kids --waving to farmers and what not.--------and the Germans had NO ammution or weapons on those trains---read my lips. --I checked --so I know.

Let me say it again ---The Germans did NOT use us kids as human shields. ---and the underground did not blow the tracks. ----BUT the train was sure SLOW.

hagar
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

:shock: OK call me stupid but... :shock:

What wears on the vane pump in the IP? Looking at those great 'French' pics: The low pumping/lifting can surely only be due to grooving on the end of the vanes or bore or a thinness of the rotor. Wouldn't it be easier to shim it with PTFE or tin or WHY. Rather than dreaming up rather complex bodges. Don't get me wrong I'm BIG on bodges/ emergency fixes etc but this looks like it would be just as easy to 'improve' as the sump oil pump...
:lol: Heck these vane pumps are self adjusting :lol:

What would 'Slick 50' do? If it still exists :roll:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I've worked on hundreds of vane pumps but not bosch ones. This is what I mostly find. The vane can keep coming out of the slot as it wears so the seal is maintained on the perimeter. If you loose material off the sides it will bypass or any scoring on the walls the same thing happens. Usually the vanes are made of a sacrificial softer material but that might not be a good idea in the fuel system. I don't know what material they are made of. I think most people do not have the tools or knowledge for a complete pump tear down and that's what replacing the vanes would amount to. But I'm sure there are a number of fixes we can do on the IP with a little patience.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Here are some good tidings for Rabbit lovers. ---

It is now a lot easier to get hold of the ---107A books . They can be found all over Eropa ----thanks to the EU laws.----they had to be translated ---to all the languages.
I am multilingual -- yeah NOW I can get the stuff. --in the beginning ? no way. --By the way BOSCH has some of the best translators -- on contracts.

You guys are lucky to have a "Bosch" guy here.--- lean on him.

NB : the governor shaft and locknut --is LEFT hand thread.

hagar.

PS : BOSCH 107A pumps are no longer made so BOSCH will give you a substitute. --109 something. or other.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

" Hillbilly - TUNING " --according to hagar. ---if and or when I get Rabbit # 5 ---here is how I begin the process.---- PO's lies a lot --- (previous owners) --so I check.

A girl at least 22 years old ? --in perfect shape for 500 dollars ? --not likely. --I turn engine over with a wrench , to make sure valves do not hit pistons. --then I check to see that flywheel is in correct position.
" 1 piston at TDC. --if flywheel has no mark I make one. Then I line all marks up ACCURATE..

We are ready to hit the starter.

hagar.

PS : no dial needed---aren't you glad that you do NOT use dial ? ---better be.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

For those of you (like me) --who were lucky to get hold of a Rabbit or 4 (like me) the Fuel crisis is a Paper Tiger.----and pain at the pump --is of NO concern.

The answer ? ----a Rabbit and learn how to read the FORUMS.----- one thing that intrigued me was --the fact that TDI's were used in a "Smileage" competition -- was it Windy Point ?. ----a whirlchamber VW will beat a DI --IMHO.------- In my lifetime " PERFORMANCE " was SPEED --ACCELERATION ---HORSEPOWER --never " Smileage " . --yes it was a lot of FUN both places.-------look at me know Mom --? am I smiling ?.
What do we have to give up on ? ---AIRBAGS. ----and all wheel drive . -I do not mind.

I see that some of you are in Smileage territory with AC --ON ? --pretty good. IMHO.

hagar.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Diesel gods have for my diagnostic
skills. Or, it might be a sign that they have a really sick sense of
humour.

-Shalyn

Shalyn : Odins and Thors sense of humor --is A ok ---But your writings are of MAJOR importance in these forums.---- pointing out where we can go WRONG ---Thank you.- and please keep writing.

If you know where a MINE field is ? --ask a guy whose best buddy stepped on one ? EH ?. ----do we learn from others mistakes ? ---we better ---I do that , and you can take that to the Bank.

hagar.

PS : on Dan's ---there was two --outstanding --people on diesels Shalyn was one ----they BOTH had nothing but problems.----man I am blessed ? EH ?.

hagar.