Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Andrew in Flagstaff AZ ----: I agree with you almost in total --- and in my mind ---when I leave ---you may fill my boots.---thems are big boots.

These Boots are made for Walking --EH ? ---and GM , some day these BOOTS are going to walk all over you.----Read my lips.----I would love to sing that one , for all of you.----can I carry a TUNE ? I think so.---Do I sing when I drive Miss. Bondo ? ---bet your boots.

hagar.

PS : my grandma --was a famous Opera singer.-Magda Ehlers from Bergen Norway.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Ah I see that Shalyn still suffers with that TDI....A diesel martyr for sure :shock:

H'mm not many views on vane pump serviceability... What do you see in your pile of pumps 'H' ?

Back to my theory of over 'bar'ing of the injectors n/a to TD is 37lb of extra force at the IP piston... I was trying to work out crank torque by working back through the pump; out onto the pulleys etc but I don't have the TDs nearby at the mo.

However I think in terms of max economy lower is better. The 1.5's actually ran at higher rpms so speed is not compromised. Maybe higher pressures mainly help with getting more fuel in for max power...

Anyone got fuel economy for the 1.5??
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

If you have " GPS " ? I can tell you where I am. ---Bunny Bondos lair. ---but better let me tell you where I came from.--EH ? Amager Island Danmark. ---Diesel Capital of the World.----yeah Burmeister and Wain. ----kabish ?.

Gemmas Alle 21 --nice place ---1937 ---but not for long.----War # 2. kind of screwed things up ? EH ? ----sure did.

Does this have to do with VW Diesels ? ---sure does.----that is how I started learning about DIESELS.-----The Real McCoy --was my first.---is HE still alive ? ---

Never mind ---Rabbits are in..

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Mark Shepherd and ALL : do not worry about Vane pump --to start with.----- not till you did a flowtest and Pull test..

To change VANES is tricky ---read my lips. ...---if you did a set ? Let us know..

Funny thing --Gemmas Alle ? --was in a subdivision ---Uranus , Orion , --all named from the sky. ? EH ?.---- yeah ----? -----them Danes are tricky ..----? .-----DO NOT TRUST THEM. .

hagar.

PS : do Not trust ANYBODY.--period.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Oh the joy of driving Miss Bunny Bondo---? ---I can hardly wait to tell about THIS little mishap.

This weekend is a 3 day thing called B.C. Day. --British Columbia day.. Bunny Bondo and hagar is headed south to a nice "Lagoon" -- named Thunder Bay , for some serious R and R. --- I have the key to "MISTY-RIVER" a small aluminium boat.---I have my Swedish PILK made in Norway.--and the required "Refreshments".----normally I would fuel up at an ESSO station at about half way.--Station is out of business. , so we better fuel up before leaving.--VW fuel gauge say less than one quarter (Liar)----I pull up to the pump and ask the young boy to read the numbers on pump --I handle the nozzle. --I said 20 litres EXACTLY.---the kid starts to yell at me --I was not fast enough --I had diesel over my pants and shirt and lots under bondo -- bill shows 0.9 of a litre ---WOW now that is smileage.---100 to a gallon Imp ? --probably.
So ? do I complain about the mishap ? --EH ? --and the girls at the Lagoon still hugged me --soaked in diesel or not. --WOW what a day.

hagar.

PS : in ECO mode she still climbs that long hill by Eagle River at 100 Km/h plus in gear 5 (80 Max zone).----Boost pegged at 5 PSIG. --oh and 70 psig in front tires ( Tyres for Mark ).
Hill on the way home --it is straight as a ruler. she now has about 264.000 Km on the clock.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I read Dan's every morning --and some of Jack's. ---and my impression is that a lot of Rabbit owners NEED to understand the function of the CONTROL collar. ----in the VE type 107 pumps.. or they will have troubles getting really good SMILEAGE .

The collar covers two small holes in plunger (Piston) more or less to regulate fuel injected (Volume) per stroke.

A standard VW "TIMED" Rabbit covers holes completely when you put the pedal down ---known as " Full Load" ----that is what we in the forums call the fueling screw ---the full load stop.
The stop is a simple mechanical stop that prevents the collar from completely covering holes ---when we turn the screw OUT.

Bunny Bondo ? ----there is no way NO WAY of covering the holes completely.---governor calls for MAX fuel ? the stop say this is hagars setting --so no way. ---.
A LDA is very important , if you want POWER and SMILEAGE. ---as I explained many times.
BUT I shall explain it again.--soon.

hagar.

PS : to get MAX fuel ? turn the screw all the way in. CW.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Mark Shepherd in UK asked me about my experience with the VE type Vane pumps . yoh ?

I never had a VANE pump --that was U/S ---unserviceable. ---the problem with the BOSCH system is more complex , than a vane pump problem.---30 pumps ? --I never took time to count.

BUT it is NOT too complex for us dedicated DIY types -? EH ?.--Together we can handle it .

The NEW skinny fuel is a problem --- WAX will fix that. -----or GOOD diesel fuel..

The weather in the Lagoon ? --PERFECT absolutely PERFECT. ---heck I even went swimming ? you bet.
And every time I dropped that PILK to the bottom ?--a nice Flounder ----two or tree jerks and a fish ? --not bad. ?----EH ? ----3 so far.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Went together slick as snot on a doorknob.

I am quoting Sandy Cameron --he is your man on starters and Alternators --and electrical in general.

I like colorful writing --don't you ? EH ? ---

hagar.

PS . Bunny Bondo is calling ---so I must go. ----pain in the tank ? not here NO WAY. ---how sweet she is.
bwv
Diesel Freak

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by bwv »

hagar wrote:The NEW skinny fuel is a problem --- WAX will fix that.
Hagar, could you please explain. Thanks
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

when I start TUNING ---.I leave the top timing belt cover off , and move the Idle screw lock-nut up close to the sprocket. (on turbos only) --- then make a superfine scribe line pump to bracket.
Look at hagars pictures ---it shows a 4 inch Petersen long nose. IMHO the best tool to use.for adjusting the full load stop. (fueling screw). ----4.00 dollars US per gallon US. ----makes all the messing with Hillbilly TUNING seem reasonable. ? EH ? --(I do it for fun)

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwv
Diesel Freak

Post by bwv »

hagar wrote:when I start TUNING ---.I leave the top timing belt off , and move the Idle screw lock-nut up close to the sprocket. (on turbos only) --- then make a superfine scribe line pump to bracket.
Look at hagars pictures ---it shows a 4 inch Petersen long nose. IMHO the best tool to use.for adjusting the full load stop. (fueling screw). ----4.00 dollars US per gallon US. ----makes all the messing with Hillbilly TUNING seem reasonable. ? EH ? --(I do it for fun)

hagar.
I thought you were referring to the notion that wax added something to the diesel fuel that, with the introduction of low-sulpher fuels, is no longer there.
Image_________Image__________Image
__1986 [A2] Golf 1.6L, 170,000_____1988 F250, 7.3 Navistar, 197k_____1984 Ford 1510 diesel, 2222 hours
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

bwv --you got it right ---the paraffin was removed.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

" Hillbilly - TUNING " ---installment . ---in this one ? we deal with the first startup. Here we deal with Injection point ,Fuel injected and Idle speed.

The first thing I do is to completely remove the full load screw.--and look for deposits. Then it is screwed in again to the O ring seals. Then I prime the pump ---full to the brim.

I dislike using the word "I" too many times --- I call it eye troubles.----maybe --hagar then turns the crew ? EH ? would solve that problem.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

hagar goes on TUNING. ----on a Rabbit Turbo 1.6L -----ECO mode first. --(small line pulled off manifold)

Turning the IP is about to be done. ---under Hillbilly - TUNING --there is NO WAY to advance pumps too far. --- the slot in pumps is about 0.75 inch US. ----deduct diameter of bolt --and you have TOTAL movement of IP. ----and in a diesel there is NO WAY of advancing IGNITION. ---by mechanical means.

SO ? ---with so little fuel going in --? --NO problemo.

BUT we are looking for the uptimum position of PUMP. and it is small line --say plus minus a pencil line.

Is it worth looking for ? ---IMHO ---yes.----so what are you waiting for ? get going. --- "STUDY" ,"READ" and "THINK".

hagar.
Last edited by hagar on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

hagar wrote:hagar goes on TUNING. ----on a Rabbit Turbo 1.6L -----ECO mode first. --(small line pulled off manifold)

Turning the IP is about to be done. ---under Hillbilly - TUNING --there is NO WAY to advance pumps too far. --- the slot in pumps is about 0.75 inch US. ----deduct diameter of bolt --and you have TOTAL movement of IP. ----and in a diesel there is NO WAY of advancing IGNITION. ---by mechanical means.

SO ? ---with so little fuel going in --? --NO problemo.

BUT we are looking for the uptimum position of PUMP. and it is small line --say plus minus a pencil line.

Is it worth looking for ? ---IMHO ---yes.----so what are you waiting for ? get going. ---move that pump.

hagar.

:twisted: Seems a little cruel to get your students to move the pump without telling them what they're looking for...(or listening out for for that matter) :twisted:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)