Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke and ALL ---why does the guide pin have to be in that hole ? --- to plug the hole.

coke ---no Bunny Bondo is NOT running on minimum fuel right now ----but something in between. a compromise.----for a crack at 120 miles on a gallon Imp ? ---yes she will be starved.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

dsm ---as you know I am a sucker for good Tales of any kind. This diesel stuff is BORING without a bit of trimmings.

Just like you I had a breakfast with an OLD flyboy.-----The oldest licensed pilot in the world at the time ( 1972 ). ---He was a good talker , but he was deaf . ---at times I am a good listener , I sure was that day.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Is hagar saying that he has a set of Deer antlers over the door --here in B.C. ---and the deer grew up in Maine --home of coke ? ---exactly.--YES.-- am I proud of shooting that fine BUCK ? --I am deadly ashamed.--------I apologize to all Mainiacks ---hagar will NEVER do that again.---besides if Sigrid finds out ---I will be in real troubles.

Fine frank and ALL who know my serious medical problems ---it is a great moral uplifting thought that someone cares about OLD (75) or young hagar ?.----I have NO fear of dying ---my fear is loosing my license to drive Miss Bunny Bondo.

coke have no fear ---hagar is here. ----The best part of Hillbilly-TUNING ? it does not ALL have to be done in one week-end.---it can be done one step at the time.---ask Bunny Bondo if it works ?---EH ? you bet your butts.
For Rabbit owners the LDA and the 107 type pumps --makes for a very interesting , challenge. ---but if you read this --? EH ? you are obviously up to have a go at it. ----when hagar exits stage left ----there are a bunch of young whippersnapper's ready to fill my boots.---like Andrew in Flagstaff AZ---and more.

Now I have no knowledge of ECO Rabbits or Rabbits with a ADA.----Bunny Bondo is a full 1.6L Turbo --not a ECO ----BUT hagar decided to run her in ECO mode.----Apple pie --or like here right now Blackberry Wine -----a fine crop this year 2006.---2006 Pacific North West ? --wow --a --vintage year.-------as far a weather is concerned.
---eh hagar intended to write an abbreviated account of ---FUN -FUN with Rabbits. --say a few pages ? --what the heck happened ? ----30 pages later I am still here ? EH ?.
Today 31 August 2006 ----I still have FUN.----and she is a sweetheart to drive.

You ALL know that you got there when OIL stays clean. --and you are in Smileage Land.---eh hagars promised land.? YES ---you bet.
If you have a Rabbit ? --and it moves ? ---IT can be "Hillbilly-TUNED" ---rust or no rust..

22 years ? and 264707.9 Km . and still getting 100 Miles on a gallon Imp and NO smoke --and Oil stays CLEAN ? --if you are not impressed ---I am NOT writing for YOU.----but say hallo to the GARRETT gang --they made a fine Turbo.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke I do not blame you for asking for details----it is a bit tricky. ---BUT after you have done it ? --you will say Blackberry Wine. ? EH ? now that and inshore northern Maine Lobster ? --now we are talking.

Ask Andrew in Flagstaff for links to drawings of the I P.---when you look at drawings of LDA and ADA --it will come to you.----the word CONE is confusing ---BUT when you see one ? ---simple as Apple Pie and Blackberry Wine and ---some Lobster. The CONE is a piece of shafting -called a sliding pin --and it has to be seen --to understand how simple it is. The guide pin rides on the side of the cone 90 degrees. --the cones slides up and down---according to Manifold or Atmospheric pressure. and in turn ---affects the "Full Load" stop for the control collar.. complicated ? --not for hagar 2006 but it was for hagar 1990 ---so keep reading.
hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I hagar never and I mean NEVER get tired of explaining ---what 75 years of FUN and Pain was like.---Lots of pain ? yes --BUT for some reason the FUN yes the FUN --seems to bubble to the top. --EH ?.

SO ? hagar will NEVER be a complainer. --- read my lips.

And NOW ? the Diesel Rabbits ---? ---remember it is not over to the FAT lady sings ? SO? it is not over to the Rabbits are in SMILEAGE land.---eh ? EH ? .

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

hagar - retarded the timing some today, and messed with the load screw. Seems to be running better. I ran it in a severeley retarded and lean state, best mileage was 44mpg. Probably because I was pounding on it to get through the gears I imagine. I turned the screw probably the equivalent of 5/8ths of a turn and that cured the low power problem, and I have almost no smoke at all, or at least that I can see. Will report mileage findings back when I get them. Changing the oil tomorrow, perhaps it will be clean after I change it, instead of the normal black. Still haven't figured out why I can drain the sump completley and put fresh oil in and before the engine is even run the oil is black.
coke

Post by coke »

oh hagar. BTW, I found a diagram of the LDA/ADA. The guide pin appears to be in the bottom half. I noticed there are 4 or 6 screws on the very top of the spaceship device, or ADA. Do I need to remove that or the whole top half of the injection pump? How easy is this pin to see?
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

coke wrote:oh hagar. BTW, I found a diagram of the LDA/ADA. The guide pin appears to be in the bottom half. I noticed there are 4 or 6 screws on the very top of the spaceship device, or ADA. Do I need to remove that or the whole top half of the injection pump? How easy is this pin to see?

Just remove the 4 outer screws. It may be stuck slightly. You then reveal the diaphram with the LDA (not looked at an ADA; but probably the same with no boost i/p) I assume you could look at the 'L' as being Load- dependant actuation and'A' being Altitude dependant actuation...
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

What a glorious day it is here today on 101 "Bunny Bondos" lair.---a long weekend --- "Labor-day 2006"-----if you ever had to support a family as a laborer --(like me) I tip my hat.

It is difficult to remember that you are there to drain the swamp ---if you are up to your butt in Alligators.----BUT remember I am here to tell ALL who are interested (and for free) about the FUN I had fooling around with Rabbit diesels..---and what I learned --and HOW ?---EH ?.
Did I have a few surprises ? -EH ? --- a rubber belt from crank to camshaft -? yieks.----a camshaft sprocket with NO key in slot ?--weird. ---an oil-pump that drives of the flat side of timing belt ? ridiculous.---that flat belt pulley drive oil-pump and vacuum pump.---so drive on a flooded road --and we loose Oil-pressure and brake boost.----not too good.
Can we make it work ? --ask Bunny Bondo --she will answer ----YES YES and one more time YES.

So what exactly did hagar do with the flat belt problem ? --he uses belt-dressing --- tumbler 450 gram spray-can stock number 762. ---works great.-----clean the flat side of belt before using..

hagar.

PS : what did hagar do about the slippng camshaft sprockets ? ---45 foot pounds on bolts. --will never slip.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Re: Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Like I told you guys ---Andrew in Flagstaff AZ is getting better and better every
day.---so read his post about Intermediate shaft , problems.---To me THAT sounds like
really good costly first hand experience.
It takes little imagination to understand what an oilspill on belt will do to ya-? EH ?.--or hoarfrost ?

Rabbit flat-belt drive system --has slipped and will in the future. What to do ? --simple keep an eye on the situation.-----clean the belt.

ATMI -the belts had to have a steel cord. ---I have never seen one with steel.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I fooled around with Bunny Bondo all day yesterday --and this morning I woke up 0130 --TV was still on FOX. --- first thing shown was still " Moonshine" still. ----gives a new meaning to "One for the road" when we put it in the tank.
Will a Diesel Rabbit run on moonshine ? answer is yes. ----BUT it takes a smart cookie to make it practical.
BOSCH 107 type pumps will work on many types of fuel --provided lubrication is proper.

Like I said hagar made a still in 1967 from an electric pressure cooker --it works for making fuel from discarded oils.----it is too dirty a still for anything drinkable. I have NO permit for a still --SO ? I am a criminal.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

was hagar ever a DAY LABORER ? bet your boots --for 7 days ---for the most hard working 7 days of my life. ----WHY WHY ? for the experience --that's WHY. --you walk in my moccasins then come back and tell me how to do things. (get it?)

I was on vacation at my old buddy Bent Jensens place in Saint.Raymond in Quebec Kanada.. I went to the post office for stamps.---behind me was a DANISH bricklayer --from Custodis Chimney of New York -- he was in town to take down 30 feet of the local PULP MILL rotten chimney...--- and he had to hire LOCAL labor. --he turned around and sayd are you DANISH I said yes --he said do you want a job ? --I said yes ----stay TUNED for part 2 . hagar the laborer.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

part 2 of hagar the DAY LABORER.

Did I stick it out ? --bet your boots --hagar is stubborn- stick to it kid. ---man oh man that was a severe test of my staying power. --First off --I am scared of high's. --yeiks. And we started at the TOP.
My friends said you will never make to the end -----I said oh yeah ? ---would I have made 8 days ? ---NO NO and one more NO. --I was totally trashed.. I hope that Danish bricklayer reads this.

MORAL ? : do not take a job as bricklayers helper on a high-rise.---just think --all of the buildings in EROPA was built on the BACKS of those --helpers.. If your dad did this ---better thank him.

hagar.

PS : after the VACATION ----back at the Radar station ? I put my feet up on the table and watched all those blinking lights.---and said HOW BLESSED I AM.