Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

Post by coke »

Hagar, its around 500 for a pump like mine, and around 400 for a regular NA pump with no ADA/LDA. And currently i'm getting around 47 miles to the gallon. But not imperial gallons, 47 miles to a US gallon. Which isn't bad. But I think I could do better. I think a lot of my problem is my AWY transmission. I turn about 34-3600 at 65 mph compared to the 2500 I was turning with my 84 Jetta. The car's gearing really sucks.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coke

Post by coke »

Andrew, the end of the dipstick broke. I haven't been able to get a replacement yet. Working on it.

hagar, I assume the rubber hose you want me to pick up is for the double stacked banjo bolt that you use for flow metering? I can do that at some point. The car parts place is right down the road. They have all different assortments of fuel hoses and hydraulic hoses and whatnot. I should be able to get my hands on a gauge to measure the pressure as well. What do you reccomend for a gauge or will any liquid/oil filled gauge do the trick?

Also, I have some spare parts kicking around here from various pumps. Trying to think if I have what I need to make my own fitting for the pressure gauge and whatnot, as depicted in your photo on page 25. What do I need to make it? Im a little confused on your picture as to how you have that set up.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

$122.50 USD. Snap-On, brand new. I also got a very fancy timing light to go with it. The timing light will give a digital readout of RPMs also. :D Nice for calibrating those stoch tachs. Also has a function so that you can advance the strobe any number of degrees you want and the light will strobe at that point. Remarkable device as well. $100 USD for the light new. Somewhat expensive combo at $225 total, but worth it IMO to be able to so quickly and easily time start of delivery regardless of injector breaking pressure, pump plunger size, or camplate profile.

:shock: So can you take it apart and photograph it? So that we can all make one for a few bucks? :shock:

Coke, what's up with your dipstick? Get that tube plugged or else you will be sucking unfiltered air into your engine any time the blowby is not greater than the suction of the intake (when your air-filter gets old). Andrew

So does this mean that we can fit an adaptor to the oil stick oriface and feed the car SVO :idea:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke and ALL : this case of coke is a challenge cum magnum. --so lets go step by simple step.

Questions : Was veggie oils ever used in car ? ---that can be tricky.--WAX is ok.

Did you get a can of Diesel - Purge. --part No 2005 ---Dot # 1993. ?

Did you clean "OUT" banjo bolt head to see if it is marked "OUT". ? Can you see numbers or the name BOSCH on the pump ? . Remember not all pumps are BOSCH.

And get ready to disconnect ADA you will not need it.-----

Andrew in Flagstaff and I are waiting for your FLOWTEST. ----that will establish the pumps internal pressure---PRESSURE must be there and up to spec ---or we have to pull out some neat tricks..

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Andrew in Flagstaff AZ. : here you are known as a young VW Diesel whipper-snapper. ---225 for the timing light gear is worth every penny ---when you look back say 30 years from now ? -I have had an order in with "Snap-Off" for a pick-up for a couple of years.----I do not really NEED one ---BUT it is by far the best troubleshooting tool I know about.

Mark Shepherd in UK --is a master of DIY make do stuff ---so he will make a good one soon..
And I am going to help him---remember all we have to do is pick up the --sound --yeah SOUND pulse in injector line , and interface it with a standard GASSER strobe light . ---that is simple ? EH ?.

hagar.

PS : coke 400 dollars US for a good pump --is a good price IMHO.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think coke has it right. He doesn't want to be a full dip stick like the rest of us just partial.
I've been thinking about the regulator valve as well. My thinking is it's more of a relief valve then a regulator valve. When you coast down a big hill with the throttle off(small demand for fuel at the high pressure pump) the excess fuel from the vane pump could be relieved. It's hard to say what Bosch was up to with this regulator valve. I've been looking for a test pump but have not come up with anything suitable. Pumping diesel up the return and checking what pressure and flow rate comes out the inlet would certainly throw light on this. I still think restricting the return line might be a way of compensating for a worn vane pump. You would have to run the return line from the injectors down stream of a control valve or needle valve. Plus a gage into the gallery of the pump would be niece to and an impulse timing light might discover what's happening. Xmas comes once a year.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

hagar

Post by Fatmobile »

Hey Andrew, glad to hear you have your new toy and got a chance to try it out on a car with problems.
I figure the little timing advance cover can be removed from the front of the pump, a few shims pulled and the timign advance can be checked again.
That sounds like a great timing light, I'm going to have to get something like it.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

surfcam and ALL : the pressure regulator valve , is indeed a special ---VERY special valve . Not a pressure relief or poppett valve . It is a sliding piston --covering or uncovering small holes in the cylinder-wall------and the flow capacity of Vane pump is such that fuel used by engine effect is minuscule.

Total flow of VANE pump -- IMHO is hundreds of times greater than total fuel used by engine.

To answer Andrew in Flagstaff AZ ----yes increase pressure and it works all the way up in RPM ---IMHO.There is a well known table of flow through an orifice ---look up flow and you have the pressure.
BUT it is a critical adjustment ----so go in SMALL steps.----I am chicken so I go about 10 thou US at the time.

Like I said --that adjustment is the easiest on a 107 type pump.

hagar.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coke

Post by coke »

hagar, am waiting for a reply on how to make my own special device to hook up a pressure gauge to the return line. If you have one and want to send it, drop me an email though the email link on my posts. I will send you contact information or whatnot. And no, veggie was never run in this car. Just wax.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

libbybapa wrote:That's all interesting info Hagar. It is remarkable how much fuel flows through such a small orifice in the "out" banjo. Looking at the pressure relief and how small those little holes are, led me to believe it was only pressure relief, but I do find it believable that the pump operates it's whole rpm range with the pressure control valve within the range of motion of those holes. I would also find it fairly easy to believe that through the course of use, that little metal plug in the top of the pressure control valve would push up some with the contant pressure cycles
:!: and temp cycles :!:
Do you think this is incorporated into the'secret service' so the Bosch men can tap it back in and make the customer very happy for little work but great expense :twisted:

and eventually the internal pump pressure would drop bit by bit. So, what's my next question...

Are the "proper" timing avance curves the same for all of the various Bosch pumps? Anyone have a VW Dynamic Timing Advance Curve???

Won't you be creating your own? :?:
Dosent that great bloke Roger Brown have links to stuff? :idea:

As far as a DIY diesel pulse pickup, I am sure one could purchase the piezo pickup alone. It would then seem to be a matter of having the current pulse from the crystal trigger a relay to send a high voltage pulse. I imagine that a piezo pickup could be coupled fairly easily to a hall effect type ditributor/coil setup and simulateate the typical gas engine spark. I think I could have worked it out, but I wanted to use my time elsewhere so I paid the man.

Andrew
Nothing wrong with that and now you can take your time over a homemade version as a hobby

Talking of paying the man Where's your 'sand man' gone?

Damn the fontsare all wrong :roll:

... girls like em ;o)

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Where's your jiggy-jig man?

... girls like em ;o)