Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

The questions are flying at hagar like hail ---lately EH ? --that is A ok , that will slow down my senility .

When I talk about TOTAL Vane pump flow ---I include the circulating flow in pump - before flow enter main gallery..
ALL BOSCH pumps are NOT the same ----BUT the 107 109 line are very close. we are talking about --- the "Curves" yes I have them all --but not for specific pumps.

And NO I do not think slug in control-valve will move in use.---BUT ? never say NEVER -EH ?

Here are the BOSCH numbers for 107A pumps. : Pump RPM. 500 --3.0 bar ---750 -- 4.1 --------1000 -- 5.2 . Those are the numbers I use for adjusting control valve. ----for some pumps I have to compromise. --- coke is an example.

Fatmobile --and ALL : yes I do fool around with shims behind timing piston spring. --Remove or add as required.

for coke ? --I say if you have a shim ?--remove it.

hagar.

PS : Bunny Bondo is calling ----besides the SUN is hitting monitor.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

ZIPS DIESEL
Glow Plug

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:47 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOCATED IN CENTRAL MINNESOTA - ST. CLOUD.

ZIP'S DIESEL INJECTION SERVICE - SINCE 1973

I BEEN WITH THEM SINCE 1984

FACTORY AUTHORIZED IN ROBERT BOSCH, AMERICAN BOSCH, NIPPONDENSO, ZEXEL, YANMAR, STANADYNE, ROOSA MASTER, AMBAC, CAV, DELPHI & LUCAS.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke and ALL : yes I will explain adapter in details --but later.

Years ago Loren in Apple-cider land Pacific NW --sent me a drawing of a pump "Exploded" view. ---very important for DIY pump gang . --BUT not enough pixels --could not be enlarged. ----Would on of you with high speed connection --get one from him and then send me one ? about 2 megs is ok.

I do not know who Zips-Diesel guy is ---but for numbers ---will he help us ?

He has access to the BOSCH books --EH ? .

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

Hagar, not entirely certain on how to get to the timing piston. Am digging out the books to see.
coke

Post by coke »

This ADA pump job is more work than its worth really. I have located the pressure regulator that you speak of hagar, that you use a pin drift to increase pressure in small increments. The problem is, I also have another setting that I can adjust what the bentley refers to as "Residual pump pressure". Are these the same things? I increased the "residual pump pressure" setting tonight for poops and giggles, and it seemed to smooth it out a bit. Quieted it down a lot too. I think my best bet is getting a rebuilt pump without the ADA. There are alot of settings on this one to mess with and i'm afraid of messing it up. Its my only vehicle. What else do you suggest hagar? This is a hard beast to diagnose without having one of these pumps in your hand.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke I shall let Andrew in Flagstaff AZ tell you. ---two simple screws --on front of pump bottom . one simple "O" ring for sealing ---simple. Let us know color of spring .

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

Okay, I know what you're talking about now. So you want me to remove it and tell you the color of the spring. What else do I need to do while im in there?
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke and ALL : you will never hear hagar say that anything on a Rabbit Diesel "Is too much work" ----------you might have heard my departed wife LOUANNE from Seattle WA. ---say too much playing around kiddo---she was a very possessive type --and I did too much playing around.(she said)
But really coke if it is your bread and butter wheels ? ---get a 400 dollar pump from Jack.

I am retired now ---and I have two mobile Rabbits --so ? --I play all day long. ---BUT sweet Bunny Bondo is my LOVE----too bad for the RUST. EH ?

A while ago she blew a flexible line to right front caliper. --after replacing line the rear left drum started to drag and get very hot . 5 minutes to fix ? yes --all I did was drive wedge up a couple of notches---all is well.
If a drum gets hot it expands --and wedge moves down ----but will have to be pushed back up manually.---so easy ---hagar complain ? ---never.

hagar.

PS : if it is NOT FUN ? don't do.
coke

Post by coke »

Its plenty fun, but I've played around with all the different settings on this pump and I still can't get it to start right when its warm. I almost thought it was low compression, as the engine has 260k on it, but if I pull the cold start lever out it always starts right up. Which makes me believe its something with the injection pump advance mechanism. I've advanced it as far as I can go, and retarded it as far as I can retard it with it still running and it doesn't seem to help that problem unless I pull the cold start advance. The only other thing I haven't tried that may help is Lubro Moly diesel purge. Or I can try some kerosene to clean out the pump. Any other ideas, hagar?
coke

Post by coke »

Also hagar, I've heard you reference BOSCH 107A pumps. I understand these are from a 1.5L Diesel engine, correct? However, I know people have used them on 1.6L etc. And since they all do the same thing, it should work, right? I'm just looking at other alternatives for a pump. Though, I am going to try to get mine functioning.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Andrew in Flagstaff AZ ---coke is talking about "Residual Pressure" in pump ---? can you explain what he is talking about ?

The only residual pressure I know about is related to the 4 constant pressure valves.....---or if you like DELIVERY valves.----notice --they have shims for --setting pressure.

The reason I would like to do a pump like cokes ---is that would prove the worth of my blasting setup. I use walnut shells ---corncob ---hazelnut shells ---and a hundreds more types of media.

Blast cleaning is neat. --- hagar uses blasting at pressures from 2 PSIG to 1000 PSIG-.---we do have 10 000 PSIG blasters in town. --- we have a very smart GERMAN painter in town -- Alex Hollman --he has a smart car.---he used granulated sugar as media on a job.--A sweet sweet job ? EH ?.

hagar.

PS : I did many hours of blasting on Bunny Bondo.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

coke wrote:Its plenty fun, but I've played around with all the different settings on this pump and I still can't get it to start right when its warm. I almost thought it was low compression, as the engine has 260k on it, but if I pull the cold start lever out it always starts right up. Which makes me believe its something with the injection pump advance mechanism. I've advanced it as far as I can go, and retarded it as far as I can retard it with it still running and it doesn't seem to help that problem unless I pull the cold start advance. The only other thing I haven't tried that may help is Lubro Moly diesel purge. Or I can try some kerosene to clean out the pump. Any other ideas, hagar?

I think that part of your 'better running' experience with the cold start knob pulled out is because as well as advancing the timing it also pulls on the accelerator too doesn't it? [with your later pump] Thus it may not be a timing issue as such (just hypoth-a-sizing :wink: )
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
coke

Post by coke »

No, it doesn't pull on the accelerator. It moves a lever inside the pump that increases the idle speed. I also thought this was how it worked until I read my Bentley. :)
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

coke wrote:No, it doesn't pull on the accelerator. It moves a lever inside the pump that increases the idle speed. I also thought this was how it worked until I read my Bentley. :)

Point taken; but either way its pulling on something that pulls on the sleeve and my point is that a faster running engine runs a little smoother doesn't it? Could your starting problem be fuel shortage at startup that is overcome by those side levers? Oh I dunno; get youself a Quantum TD :)
My first one never had a coldstart handle in the car; and I ran that for 3 years 50 mpg US (stored awaiting a beauty treatment)
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)