Selling my 80 VW Diesel truck

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

tedshark
Cetane Booster

Selling my 80 VW Diesel truck

Post by tedshark »

Posted on Ebay 2 times and did not make reserve price.
I want 2500.00 and from what I see people spending money on it's well worth the asking price
I am selling my truck just because I want something with more power this truck works great if all I wanted was to drive to work, and around.
This is a diesel 1980 complete with shell, thule rack, keys clean title no smog required
I purchased this truck with a seized engine it had been overheated and water got into the cylinders and was parked and left that way for years.
I never runs hot it has a temp gauge so I wired the temp dummy light with a relay to the fan so the light comes on when the fan is running this way I know the fan is running.
I bought it with 96000 miles and now I have almost 112000 it’s a daily driver at least 4 days a week, (I have other cars).
It has fairly new tires with less than 5k on them the body is very very strait and this is the original paint there are no door dings but there is some rust because the truck is originally from Idaho.
Anyway the original engine is gone the engine in this truck is from an 89 Jetta 1.6 hydraulic with about I think around 70k and the head is a rebuilt from a 1.5 non hydraulic they work together fine for me and I also installed a block heater.
The transmission has been pretty solid it’s a 5 Speed and I changed the oil in it when I put the new engine.
This truck runs good and drives great to shacking or pulling overall feels solid but I have to push it really hard if I want to hit the freeways on the way to the coast It will cruise 65- 70 in 4th gear but it also uses a lot more fuel and if you go into 5th it drops in speed because I guess it’s too high of a gear I guess does not have the power to go 75-80 with my kayaks on top and the dogs in the back and all other gear.
The rust well there is a hole on the drivers side fender near the antenna and some minor surface rust on the bottom edges I mean minor no major cancer.
The wheel wells have rust and originally there was minor pin holes and I made them bigger by ripping the metal to see how bad it was and the drivers side was worse I guess because the way they were made this was a cavity between and it must fill with water and rust from the inside out so I ripped it and it stays dry and I also was able to put some stuff to stop the rust it does not look pretty but it’s stopped also I had the drivers side fender off and I did reinforce the outer shell with wire mesh screwed and fiber glassed and at first I was kind of worried about it but it feels solid the only thing that has broken more than once in the exhaust pipe I have replaced the exhaust system with 2 inch pipe and a glasspack only so it’s a little loud.
The interior is not too bad it is complete the dash has some cracks and the seats have some tears I replaced the headliner but I cut it short so it’s basically not completed but it is better than no headliner at all it has an AM/FM Cassette stereo the stock speaker in front and 2 boxed speakers behind the seats I have the rear window out because I have the shell on I was going to tint the window and never got around to doing it the rear window is a sliding window and the side ones on the shell slide open also I did tint the back window on the shell and the sides were already tinted.
This truck should drive to New York and back to California just fine a little slow but it should make it without a problem (maybe add some oil)
If someone wanted to restore this truck I think it would be a good truck to do that to because of the straight body.

Lino 209-634-3999
80 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.6 Hydraulic with 1.5 Non Hydraulic head
98 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD
94 Ford Bronco F351/5.7
99 Plymouth Grand Voyager
rloch
Glow Plug

Re: Selling my 80 VW Diesel truck

Post by rloch »

tedshark wrote:Posted on Ebay 2 times and did not make reserve price.
I want 2500.00 and from what I see people spending money on it's well worth the asking price
I don't want to tell you how to run your dealings... but I think there's a subliminal message in there somewhere. From my experience the "market" is exactly that.... the "market". Your truck will fetch whatever the market determines... regardless of what you have seen other "similar" vehicles go for on E-bay. Good luck to you.
'80 Rabbit 2-dr (back in '87)
now '81 Caddy 1.6 TD