Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

Post by coke »

Just some food for thought hagar.. found out tonight via another forum that a device I often wondered about is actually a timing device that advances timing based on electrical input. As far as I know it comes from a temperature sender though I haven't confirmed this. However, applying 12v+ to the solenoid on the timing cover will apparently solve my starting problem, give me the advance I need, and make the engine run smoother. Its supposed to retard the timing to keep exhaust emissions down. Who needs that anyways. LOL.

So hagar the great, I shall apply 12v+ to this solenoid and report back.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

oke and ALL : why did hagar not think of ELECTRIC rather than HYDRAULIC advance system ? ---I have known about the BOSCH system for years.

Will get back to coke on that one. -----NO Rabbit known to me (1977 --1984) had it.

All VW ---ECU models use it --EH ? so why not.?.

hagar.

PS : my Bill Gates spellchecker on VW ? comes up WOW.--I agree. ok ok so it is VOW.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

A rabbit in the Hat ( Tophat ) is better than 10 in the BUSH. ---EH ? so 4 Rabbits in the Hat is better than 40 Rabbits in the BUSH.
Bunny Bondo and hagar both like longhaired music ---so this morning 01 October 2006 --we listened to Angela Hewitt play Chopin. (05:30)--we were ecstatic ---super rendition. We get it off an Amerikan satellite owned by DSS.-----
Must go and test drive Miss.Bondo in the great Kanadian BUSH.---besides the SUN is hitting the monitor --AGAIN.

hagar.
PS : so you see --NO need to get under the Rabbit to change front bearings ---drive shaft is not removed.
coke

Post by coke »

Hagar, no change on the electric timing advance. Didn't make a difference. I dont think it works since it hasn't functioned in so long.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Driving Miss.. Bondo for a test-run on 1980 left front Leg.---PERFECT ---no lean or nothing. NO way to tell it from a 1984 Leg.---total trip ? ---138.1 Kilometers. ---all highway. ---maximum speed ? --took my foot of at 115.---limit is 80 here.

Never used the LDA ---hagars afterburner.

hagar.

PS : get rid of those plastic housings for thermostat.--use the aluminium one.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke make mine a " Guantanamera "--- Cristales Habana CUBA.--EH ? OK ?

IMHO --you are looking at a simple electric start advance. ----I was looking at real electric advance systems.

I still need an ACCURATE flow test --and to know that you advanced the pump.-----believe me if you really advance it ---? the cold start is NOT needed.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Long time ago , some person had a saying that twigged in my brain. " I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere , than ANY city in the world ".

Here is hagars version : " I would rather wake up at the edge of nowhere , than in Jerusalem or the Big Apple or Big easy or Baghdad " Bunny Bondos lair is right on the edge ---we are happy here.
at the top of Pacific Coastal Highway 101 Amerika.

Now would the middle of North Maine USA do ? --in winter in a tent in the snow ? --bet your butts.

hagar.

PS : in Maine ? --VW Rabbits ? --NO only VW Kubelwagens 4 by 4 ---and Snowhares.---I shall NEVER eat another one for the rest of my life.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Now that I --hagar is in Northern Maine USA ? --in my mind ? --EH ? --how did I get around ? ---jepper in an OLD Willis Army Jeep-.---what a design EH ? -----BUT .

If hagar was offered a choice ? Pattons brand new Jeep ? or Rommels VW Kubelwagen 4 by 4 ?

Rommels all the way.----yes I lay my hands on that one ---he was in Danmark planting mines ---and pouring cement --(jernbeton)----his mines are still there --a lot of them --in Oct 2006 ? you bet your boots.---step on one --EH ? NO boots.---disgusting. --IMHO.---further we may loose a member.

And that is on a beautiful sandy beach on the west side of Jutland.---I could easily get MAD about it.

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

Hagar, I have advanced the timing as far as I could go before and the car still started like crap. Something to do with the electric solenoid and timing device in the pump is malfunctioning.

I am now holding in my hand a Bosch 107A fuel injection pump. I see no evidence that it is in fact a yellow dot pump, and I believe if it were, the Yellow dot would be on the timing piston cover. It doesn't have one. I have a regular 107 A pump. Time to clean and prepare for Hillbilly Tuning of the 90 Jetta. Vroom.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

coke : loosen the four line nuts at delivery valves --loosen the four bolts holding pump. Turn pump to fully retarded position --top of pump away from block.---Tighten all . Then slip drive sprocket one tooth towards advanced. ----Then " Hillbilly TUNE ".

hagar.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

-
Last edited by libbybapa on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Oldf Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

When Bunny Bondo and hagar first met ,---she was on skid row --headed for the crusher.

Look at her now ? --EH ? what a helping hand and a good forum can do ? EH ?.

Yes she suffered from LOW oil pressure at the HEAD. ---in the forums we had endless discussions of that problem.
SO ? --what did hagar do ? --I just ignored it. ---all a Rabbit needs is about 1 or 2 PSIG -- The lubricating system favors Turbo , Crank, and spray nozzles EH ? --so why worry ?.

Worry ? --not hagar. ---she now topped 265182.3 Km.---and just a humming.----and right now ? ---she wants to go. so ? we go.

hagar.

PS : when the old battle-ax is hundred ? --Bunny Bondo and hagar heads for Seattle WA.---read my lips.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Andrew in Flagstaff AZ :---great post . I need all the help , from everybody to be able to get coke really trucking.------If haudraulic advance is NULLIFIED ? ---coke are you reading ? ---then get it working.
hagar is going to study this one----Mark Shepherd we need NEED you.---and hows about Zips-Diesel ?

hagar.
coke

Post by coke »

hagar, im going to get it working by putting my 107A pump on my car. LOL. That'll really tell me whats going on because its an entirely different pump and a lot easier to tune. Not so many settings as on my ADA pump. Just a pure old simple diesel injection pump. Then I can tune hardcore. And we'll see just what exactly im up against.

I dont anticipate many problems at all. I want to get it done ASAP. Any tricks for getting the sprocket off the pump without using the two eared puller by VW?
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Use a steering wheel puller with nuts and flat washers through the pulley holes. it will come off usually with a resounding bang.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe