let the games begin

Moderator: Fatmobile

82 vanagon 01 tdi
Glow Plug

let the games begin

Post by 82 vanagon 01 tdi »

I now have an 82 vanagon diesel an 86 jetta 1.6 td, and a01 jetta tdi. the plan is swap motors van to jetta, jetta to van. plan on new tranny for the vanagon. I understand the dk is the best tranny for my needs, but would a trannyout of a water cooled work? how much is a tranny worth?
also how do i know what kind of head is in the 86 jetta , do i need to set the valves?
stopping
Diesel Freak

waterboxer tranny

Post by stopping »

yes it works but it is much less work use a transmission from an aircooled van. If you are going to buy anyhow get the air cooled one.

I have a waterboxer tranny in mine I am told they are slighty stronger or something and maybe they are but I doubt it is worth the trouble for you.

I needed to change the linkage (meaning you will need the WB tranny and linkage... not including the shifter it self) to the transmission. That is an arduous task; mine required dropping the fuel tank. There is a pesky bushing above the tank that the later linkage is too large to fit though. So you need to remove it (it always sqeaks anyhow) but the other important pain in the toukish is that the two transmisions are different lengths so the bracket from the diesel tranny doesn't mate with the tranny nose motor mount. It needs to be fabricated or seriously altered. Using the WB tranny also means the engine geometry will be different. If you have the dumb dipstick in the front of the oil pan your oil dipstick will need new marks scratched into it.

I hope that helps a bit... There is quite a bit of info on this forum for you as I'm sure you know but if I can anwser questions about your van swap i will be happy to do so.

Steve