Vibrations at 3200

Moderator: Fatmobile

stopping
Diesel Freak

Vibrations at 3200

Post by stopping »

Hello folks.... I just got back from the summer work season in Newfoundland and now it's time to get me, my place and my van winterized. So I brought my injectors to a diesel shop in Toronto and they cleaned them, checked breaking pressure and spray pattern... all good. He says they were a terifying mess (w/ varnish and crap) and suggested I was running bad fuel. (maybe I have but I have been using a bit of that "Stanadene(sp?)" fuel lube every tank... dunno I guess there my be another engine issue... blow-by). The engine now has more power and a curious character has return to the van. Vibration.

When I first did my conversion to 1.9td I had a few issues and many thanks to you folks and Andrew in Flagstaff for your help. But one thing the motor had at the beginning of its life in my van was an inexplicable vibration around 3000 to 3300 rpm. Now that I have cleaned the injectors it has returned..... same rpm as before but maybe stronger. I remember the day I started and drove the van when the vibration was not there. I thought... hallelujah the van fixed it's self (naive) it was after a long hihgway drive and the engine's first time above 100km/h. The trip was short from around the bay 2-300km to StJohn's in Newfoundland summer before last.

The vibration is unrelated to flywheel/ clutch and the effect is well felt through the fuel petal. I don't think it is just the pump or petal since it rattles other things in the van at the same rpm.

I wouldn't worry about this as much if the vibrations were not in the range of 95km/h-105km/h (60mph-70mph). Bad place for it. So now I am cruising at 70mph and all is good I am getting reliably better than 9l/100. But it could be better if I could slow to 100km/h/ 65mph.

What is this trouble?

Thanks in advance.

Steve in Montreal
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

vibration

Post by Fatmobile »

I know this is a vanagon and I have little experience with them.
The only time I have felt peddle vibration was when an injection pump bolt was loose.
stopping
Diesel Freak

bolts

Post by stopping »

Thanks Fatmobile

No loose connections on the IP here. I did check though.

I am not a mechanic and do not really understaand the inside-workings of these engines. But in my mind, if the vibration was coming from some engine bearing it would be present at every rpm. Is that true?

I don't think it is the flywheel (but it may yet be) since I removed it and checked for debris and proper torque of the bolts. Anyway a flywheel vibration should not come and go with changes of power or rpm, right?
stopping
Diesel Freak

Yes there was a loose bolt

Post by stopping »

Fatmobile....

You were right. The pulley side bolts were torqued right but the pivot bolt under the pump and away from the pully was a bit loose. I tightened it and the vibrations are dead and gone. Smooth like butter.

Cheers.... thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

right

Post by Fatmobile »

Did you see that folks.
I got one right... and I haven't even worked on a van. 8) :lol: