K14 return line union size and thread pitch

Moderator: Fatmobile

myke_w
Cetane Booster

K14 return line union size and thread pitch

Post by myke_w »

I have a k 14 turbo and german oil pan that is about to go in my vanagon, the return line and td oil pan fitting are certainly a weird size, metric I'm sure. Does anyone have the skinny on these fittings, ie what size and where to get them?? I am looking for barbed fittings that will allow me to use a rubber hose to run my turbo oil return line to the pan..
thx in advance for any help..
danfromsyr
Glow Plug

Post by danfromsyr »

*bump..
yeah I have a winter project and am looking to install a K14 into my vanagon TD..

Libby, what did you use for your supply/drains on the K14 (I think i recall you running a K14).

also I'll be intercooling mine with a saab intercooler, addinga good K14 but no PYRO gauge just yet.. any idea on if I can tweak it any small amounts prior to my PYRO,?

I'm setting up to take a 1200 mile trip from NY to FL and back for christmass.. and wouldn't mind a few more ponies but don't want to run hott w/o a pyro

Dan in NY
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

IThe K14 return fittings are all very strange metric threads. I believe going into the pan is a 16.7mm fine thread. After spending lots of time and energy trying to find fittings that would work I dismantled the turbo and retapped the housing to standard NPT (whatever the closest size was), and did the same to the oil pan. If using the Jetta manifold, then properly clocking the turbo and jogging around the wastegate is a pain, but it can be done.

Andrew
myke_w
Cetane Booster

Post by myke_w »

danfromsyr wrote:*bump..
yeah I have a winter project and am looking to install a K14 into my vanagon TD..

Libby, what did you use for your supply/drains on the K14 (I think i recall you running a K14).

also I'll be intercooling mine with a saab intercooler, addinga good K14 but no PYRO gauge just yet.. any idea on if I can tweak it any small amounts prior to my PYRO,?

I'm setting up to take a 1200 mile trip from NY to FL and back for christmass.. and wouldn't mind a few more ponies but don't want to run hott w/o a pyro

Dan in NY
I can get the exact part # you need. I had my local napa cough up the fittings, they are jic hydraulic fittings into the trurbo, then 2 45 degree crimp fittings over 1/2 inch ID high temp hose., I'm not sure what thread pitch but I can get that too.. I'll call them and see if I can put aparts list together. Do you have the German pan too?
danfromsyr
Glow Plug

Post by danfromsyr »

My pan has a home DIY fitting from the PO, If you can tell me the NAPA part number or type/name of fitting you've researched then that would be a VERY BIG HELP.

I'll have to connect to the lower on my own. I believe that the lower is the stock Quantum fitting fromt he OG QTD drain line.

in my van I have the Q TD exhaust manifold, and will have to reindex the K14 center for Oil supply @ the top and drain @ the bottom with the header connection ontop -vs- stock K14 header conn was on bottom.

thanks in advance for the help

Dan in NY
1980 TD ASI Riviera.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

My local NAPA looked at me like I was from Mars... :? :roll:

Andrew