Old guy Old Rabbit---both Happy.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guyu Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Thank you guys ---it must have been the L-1011 .----I know how to contact him now.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : --- Twiggy Fuel test.. IMHO --it will NOT lubricate I P main shaft bushings ----when not modified.----at least not to my spec's.

The pull from timing belt is considerable. We shall see . I regret not measuring "Play" a long time ago.----so what do I do ? I keep an eye on how fast belt moves to outside of I P sprocket.

Even with good # 2 Fuel , a lot of bushings went south. -- I have new bushings and seals on the table ---but that is a big job.

hagar.

PS : Seals and bushings were dirt cheap.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : now suddenly I got to re examine the Timing Belt issues ---tension mostly.

I NEVER had a belt break---BUT I got a collection of broken belts here , that broke on other Girls and Guys while driving.---very costly problem.

How does hagar set tension ? ---- "Fingerspitzen gefuehlen" and I drive with top half of cover removed.

In the future I am going to use the scale I dreamed up.
For the first couple of years --was the belt tension a scary issue ? sure was here. ..why was that ? --the IRS had just cleaned out ALL my bank accounts. ---I use the old Mattress trick now. ---- I sleep like the princess on the pea.

hagar.

PS : I use only the best quality belt available --NOW. ---Danmark is world known for belts ----------- " Stærkodder " .. ..nothing but the best , is good enough for Fraulein Bunny Bondo.
From here to the "Mitchell Lagoon" 20 Km. ----so ? a TUNING run is 40 Km.--perfect.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Hagar, I have a Gates belt tension gage I bought on Ebay, thinking I could use it to establish a reasonable tension setting for timing belts. Of course I never got around to it, but I wonder if anyone on the forum had the same plan.

The gage is simple - it's spring loaded and you push on the belt with it until you deflect the belt a specified distance (yet to be established). There's an oring on the gage that measures how much pressure you applied to the gage (kind of a "peak-hold function") and that number in conjunction with the belt deflection is your belt spec.

I used these in my work on some rotating belt-driven radar antennas we used to build and it worked great.

Meantime I suspect I do the same as you (Auf deutch - fingerspitzen...), I eyeball the belt, do the twist measurement, and look at it while the engine is running for excessive "flop" or any whining from overtightened pulleys. Not very scientific but it seems to work.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : ---I read those reports about the L-1011 --with O ring problems in Miami FLA ---thank you. --- 172 lucky souls. --look at the experience in the front office and the galley--EH ?.

I became an "Ersatz" --Dad to 3 gorgeous girls --Cathy , Debbie and Mary-Ann. .. Their Father dies in a crash with the camera on. --Camera was thrown clear and recorded the sounds as all onboard burning to death.. (small private plane).

lyeinyoureye and bwv --- if ..you want to cash in your makka-doos --all you have to do is ask.

I predict that we are goint to have a LOT of FUN in 2007 --adjusting to Twiggy fuel (15ppm).

And contrary to rumors on the Forums ..that hagar does not like Stanadyne additive ? wrong , heck I even said that BOSCH recommended to use Stanadyne ----Lubricant.

I know nothing about Lucas stuff . ---- Bosch and Stanadyne was mainly worried about Rollers and Camplates.---I like to hear what Bosch has to say about BUSHINGS and Twiggy.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

" Chuckles" --(idhoho) -- NO need to heat the Parowax --it will dissolve in 15ppm at room temp.
I use heat to speed up the process.

Take a clear 1 quart bottle , fill with twiggy add one tablespoon of Parowax.---bingo we got a fat lady in no time.----remember I have used Parowax for more than 30 years.---and will to the day St.Peter calls out my name.

Fraulein Bunny Bondo --now has 266500.0 Km on the clock and still doing pirouettes around all the cars around here , Dollar for dollar smile for smile ---I almost wish we Bondo and hagar had to pass an aircare test.---

Do I think that 2 cycle oils are good for the pumps and injectors ? --ABSOLUTELY --but for lubrication only. -- NOT for a thickener.----or a fuel. ----some have very high ASH levels. ---The best 2 cycle oil I know about is ESSO Outboard .---Metallic additives like the stuff in gear oil and hydraulic oil , is the reason hagar does not use it.----I suspect that STANADYNE ---is loaded with metallics.

hagar.

PS : about timing belt tension ? if I had a gates gauge I would use it ---Aircraft tensiometers will work --hagars DIY will work --so what ? --calibration is a problem here.---no VW dealer.. one thing for sure ---I will never again use Bentley max .
The dames around me are giving me a hard time --Ingrid in her fancy Jetta (gas) , Sigrid in her fancy Passat (gas) and Jody with her fancy Touareg (gas).---- well Bondo is still my Cinderella.---they got fancy shoes ok --BUT can they dance ? --not like Bondo they can't-- IMHO.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

I was flying on the L1011 out of Miami at the time. The engines were showing excessive wear at early time levels so the FAA required oil screen checks every 25 to 50 hours. The mechanics were pulling the checks on all three engines at one time. On that machine, they forgot to safety wire and the plugs fell out. The Captain on that flight was good and he got one of the engines started and made it back to Miami from the Islands.

I need the connection to Vik. My last mail has been returned.

I hope you are having a great New Year.

Rick

hagar the old flyboy sez : Information is where WE find it --EH ? ---but on a diesel forum ? ---why not ?.
Thanks a lot guys.

Rick Chisholm is an old friend.---

My emails were returned at first --when I asked him about the Miami O rings. This one I got today.

PS : oh if only I was on that flight --what a tale at the local watering hole of the diesel guys .
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Mark Shepherd UK --(Blimeyland) : You was a bit ahead of your time ---BUT --now the Stirling engine is making headlines again.---- It is driving the Viking Class subs --Swede,Norway and Danmark -----and driving the US Navy nuts --they can not detect it.. BUT watch out for all those "YELLOW" submarines---being made by the hundreds.---powered by Stirlings.

For a Rabbit ? ---IMHO it is likely. --but VW will call it a WATT Wagon.----things move too fast for me.

Tell Loren and all that I have the LDA on tap at all time. --thanks to your help--and his.

Pneumatic selector switch on dash.----I estimate that Fraulein Bunny Bondo will still put out --EH ? say 100HP --in a A1 --that is a Rabbit take-off.

I call it my Afterburner ---BUT really it more of an Aftersmoker.

To say it the way it was ? --why I kept the TURBO ? Scott Kair , Loren and Mark Shepherd-. now you have to break my arms both of them --to get it away from me.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : --- this entry was to be about Diesels ---then I see that fantastic chopper pilot give a Deer a blow-dry ---what a guy. Sigrid will like this one.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : well back to diesel reality --EH ? I did some skylarking on the Net ---and I predict that --------coke , fatmobile and Andrew in Flagstaff AZ ----will have one hectic year in 2007. -

Rabbits leaking ? ---yes --Rabbits insisting on hibernating ? --yes.------starting a COLD Rabbit ? ---is frozen fingerspitzen gefuehlen ----can it be done ? stay TUNED.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : hagars advanced techniques for starting COLD Rabbits.----notice I said ADVANCED.

Lets say at 40 below --for weeks on end.

I grew up with Beverly Hillbillies on TV ---stupid sitcom ---BUT entertaining.---the crude has stopped bubbeling since then.--EH ?

Why do I hagar like to be called a Billy ? ---because I spend a vacation in (or two) in the middle of Hillbilly Land .--and I found that the Amerikan use of the word is unjustified .-------Who do I blame ? --Hollywood----- The Deliverance and Wrong turn did not help ,. -----I explored the Collins Caves ---and sampled some Moonshine ---and had a ball. ----
Like Jack said --eish bein einer Berliner (in Germany) ---so hagar sez I am a Billy.--(in Kentucky)

So Billy and Advenced is a contradiction ? NOT at all NOT at all. ---rent the Rocket Boy.. smarts are where they are found ---EH --in a coalmine ? ---yes trust me.

I have a feeling that this is going to be more than one entry --yieks.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : starting a COLD Rabbit ?---hagar always start at the battery. ---we can no longer get dry charged batteries here so I insist on knowing the filling date.---Nothing but a fresh battery will do here. With Interstate it is easy to locate...more than 3 month ? ---it will never be used here.

Here are some entries from my log. : 1984 Turbo Rabbit 26 June 2003. --installed NEW Interstate Battery 251 892.2 Km on clock. charged all night --charging at 650 mA Voltage 15.58 -----after 10 minutes of not charging Voltage --12.82.

Now in 2007 , am I happy with the Interstate ? --very.

So ? how does hagar test a battery ? ---a simple drawdown test will do. next time , the test will be explained.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Saga : The Battery test. ----remember I am not telling you to do this test --OK ? --I am saying I did this test.---and it works.

This test is SAFE ---because of the small gauge cables on the Rabbits.---we need resistance to limit maximum current. ---lest we blow the battery.

When I get a NEW --(new to me) battery I make a small dimple in the middle of posts I use a knife or a drill-bit ---and IMMEDIATELY fill it with Vaseline -----NOT after beerbreak.

Dimples are a good place to use for probes.---yes it must be in the center of post.

Then I put her in gear 4 lock the brakes ---and take a reading of draw-down---VOLTAGE ---I use starter just long enough to get a reading.--that is hagars locked starter test--- and it works.

Must go Skylarking ---Fraulein Bunny Bondo is calling. ---that is a hard job ..BUT it has to be done --EH ? . so see you all later .

Hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

SAGA : from battery the connections to starter are next---- I actually have fun , yes FUN doing these tests ---writing about it ? --nah a lot less fun.

Here is where a Solid state digital instrument is a MUST. ---Drawdown can be done with an Analog Voltmeter.---BUT NOT ---the next test. ---- Knowing that Voltage drops are common on Rabbit battery posts---- I go listening for Voltage drops. (electron nerd joke) . I use the # 4320 ----on the DCV 200 m scale.---the reference # 1 is the dimple on the positive post. The starter makes for a good load.--in neutral is ok.---first test ? dimple to Post connector clamp. ----any drop more than 200m ?---NO good.---Bondo is ok so hagar moves the probe to starter terminal ---- a bit more drop is normal..

hagar.

PS : NO NOT the end yet ----BUT maybe the end of the beginning ? ---.so ? stay TUNED.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Old guy Old Rabbit.

Post by hagar »

Saga : driving a Rabbit and writing about a DUCK ? --why not ? EH ?----all day that Cold Duck --superduck was on CNN ....so ? well I come from a town where ducks were revered.

Harm a duck mother in København in my time ----may the lord show mercy on your soul. ----The greatest tourist brochure I ever saw ---was of a Mother duck and all her little ones strung out behind her ---main square in rush hour-----and a policeman holding all the traffic back ----while they crossed the street.

Mighty Ducks --must have ball with this one ----make it a mascot. (carpe diem).

hagar.