rocker cover - simple question

Moderator: Fatmobile

slam_dunk
Glow Plug

rocker cover - simple question

Post by slam_dunk »

Hi all, can anyone tell me why the rocker/cam cover on the 1.6 na diesel does not have a cap for filling the engine with oil from there and instead has a fabricated pipe the goes straight to the sump. I thought it might be because the engine is at 50 deg angle and so hot oil would affect the cap - but then my assumptions are normally wrong. Is this something that VW did or an aftermarket fabrication. Many thanks for help.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Because, to fill from the cam cover (the diesel engine doesn't have any rockers) you need to remove all the stuff from the rear hatch area and open the engine lid. To fill from the filler tube you just flip the license plate down and all your stuff can stay put.

Andrew
slam_dunk
Glow Plug

Post by slam_dunk »

Andrew - you are correct in what you say - that video definately should be banned :lol:

I am committing the ultimate sin and putting a petrol engine into my van - reusing as many of the diesel parts as I can to match it, but wanted to block off the sump filler pipe and use the head cover from petrol, which has a filler cap and other neccessary bits to hold throttle cable etc. That's why I wandered if it is still a no no because of the angle of the engine and the fact that oil would be maybe affect the cap. Although, I suppose even in the upright position the petrol engine must suirt oil all round the cap when in use anyway.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Yes, terrible video quality and sound quality coupled with off-key singing. Jeesh.

Using the non-diesel vanagon valve cover will not cuase any problems whatsoever. I've used them on two of my vans for a couple years. That being said, I would still install the oil filler tube. The later ones for use with power steering are still available along with the later style dipstick (in the block rather than in the filler tube) and really are worth the cost IMO. The first time the back hatch area is full of stuff and you need to check/add to the oil it's worth it just in the pleasure vs. frustration factor.

Andrew