18- deg and it statred great. But did not make it to work

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

bryankwalton
Cetane Booster

Re: biodiesel

Post by bryankwalton »

Fatmobile wrote:
I use B5, that shouldn't make that much difference right?
I was talking to a local guy who works with lubricants and fuel additives for a living. He said there is nothing that can be mixed with biodiesel to keep it from gelling when cold.
Adding heat is the only thing that will melt it.
While that is true with neat biodiesel (B100), even that is beginning to change. There are a few products out that appear to be working with B100 from specific feedstocks. I don't much about these products, but some of the folks over at the biodieselnow.com forums are playing around them. They are called Lubrizol 7671A and Wintron XC30.

If you aren't talking about straight B100, then you actually have several more options. Obviously, you can dilute the B100 into regular and/or winterized diesel to lower the CFPP. Powerservice DFS (white bottle) works with biodiesel blends up to B20 and is available almost anywhere. So, I run B20 treated with Powerservice DFS. The folks at Powerservice claim that this product lowers the CFPP by almost 36 degrees, even with up to 20% biodiesel. And I believe it works as claimed. The weather has been quite frigid here in Iowa the last two weeks and my car has sat outside in weather as cold as -25 C. My B20 (with Powerservice) has done fine. So far, I've had no problems.

-Bryan
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

I just filled 2 large glass pickle jar's 1/4 full of diesel, one with todays ULSD and another with 500ppm I have stored for use in older dozers and threw them in our freezer that is at 9F
Guess what, The ULSD has a 1 inch coating of nasty white greese like substance while the 500pmm remains normal looking!

How can i Post pictures on here, must I have a seperate host site and past the link here?
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
sethyboy85
Cetane Booster

Post by sethyboy85 »

I got gelled, thought it was dirty filter, NO it wasn't

3hrs on the side of the road yesterday and 30min today to get it running again. Got some 911 diesel like product that the local guy sells and also put in 4 gallons of kero (used PS and some 5w-20w for lube). Installed a 4psi solid state pump before the filter and rigged to battery to purge system (been meaning to do so anyway) cranked for 15 sec and then she fired up idles ruff for a minute or two LOTS OF AIR in fuel line and then took it out on the road and made it all the way home with only 1 or 2 instances of maybe sucking air (or pump stopped pumping from bump)
80mi later im home and starting to warm up. Hope I don't have issues im going out tonight with the car, I spliced into the wire on the stop solenoid for the pump so when I turn the key the pump comes on now.

damn ULSD, I must have to use more than I am of the white PS bottle.
91 Dodge Spirit R/T 2.2l 8v , T3/T4 50t S2, NPR IC, 3"E, custome cal FS
85 Jetta 1.6l TD motor, NA34X inj, 2.5" T-back FS
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

There is a few thing you can do to prevent the diesel freezing in your filter.
*as Fatmobile said, wrap a coolant hose around it (look at his answer to get it right)

*pull a wool-sock (you know what I mean? the sort that keeps your feet warm at winter!) over the filter, this creates a buffert of air between filter and cold airflow that otherwise cools down the diesel when the car runs at 55mph.

*put a gallon of gasoline to a full tank of diesel, I promise you it won´t freeze and doesn´t harm the engine. This also helps to fire the thing up in the morning :D

Tip of the day: if your diesel starts to freeze, slow down or stop but don´t turn the engine off. Let it idle for a few minutes and you should be able to get going again.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km