whats missing here??

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

whats missing here??

Post by CoolAirVw »

Whats missing here and why is it important?

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

It looks like your missing wires that go to the a heater. Its in the vent line that comes off the top of the valve cover but its located at the end that goes into the intake. Its important in cool weather to keep the vent open not pressurizing your crankcase and loosing oil.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
QuantumDave
Cetane Booster

Post by QuantumDave »

I was thinking rain tray...to keep crap out of the air box intake.
91 Jetta 1.6 NA
374K & still going on the original engine & IP at the time I sold it.
That car taught me quite a bit.
97 Passat TDI 277K
05 Passat TDI 48K
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

RUST?

:lol:
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

missing

Post by Fatmobile »

Hmmm, rubber valve cover gasket? :lol:
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

Is this a contest, or something?

Like "Where's Waldo"?

If so I'm going with Quantum Dave

and saying the "rain tray".

What have we won?
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I'm gonna say it's the wires to the brake fluid level sensor. They are important in order to keep from killing people when you slide into them due to an undetected brake fluid leak.

Andrew

PS The rain tray is also missing, but not as important IMO.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I went to the back page of the form and turned my monitor upside down and I still couldn't find the answers. Now where's Waldo.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

This is fun.

For one thing...you're low on coolant... cooling is very important for a TD.

And, you're definitely missing your boost gauge... my favorite toy next to EGT.

Or perhaps it's something simple... like, you're missing the rest of your car ??!!

Wires on the brake reservoir is a great catch... don't believe them when they tell you that you will still have reliable diagonal braking if you lose a circuit.... fortunately I found out in my driveway.

And, I always wondered about the electrical connector with no wires attached to it on the PVC hose... now I know.

Anyone know about the electrical connector on the BOV ??
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

surfcam wrote:It looks like your missing wires that go to the a heater. Its in the vent line that comes off the top of the valve cover but its located at the end that goes into the intake. Its important in cool weather to keep the vent open not pressurizing your crankcase and loosing oil.
I really dont know what your talking about. Maybe my car isn't equipped??????? You say its important in cool weather??? Maybe I should get one.
QuantamDave wrote:I was thinking rain tray...to keep crap out of the air box intake.
Very close. It is missing.
Fatmobile wrote:Hmmm, rubber valve cover gasket?
It is kinda seeping, isnt it. Its relatively new. I put one on with the timing belt. What should I do about that? Maybe its got some excess crankcase pressure due to what Surfcam said is missing
duffer wrote:Is this a contest, or something? Like "Where's Waldo"? If so I'm going with Quantum Dave and saying the "rain tray". What have we won?
Sorry Duffer, Dave said it first.
libbybapa wrote:I'm gonna say it's the wires to the brake fluid level sensor. They are important in order to keep from killing people when you slide into them due to an undetected brake fluid leak.

Andrew

PS The rain tray is also missing, but not as important IMO.
Sorry Andrew the wires are there but they are turned to the back and then they turn down so you cant see them in the pic.
Vincent Waldon wrote:Anyone know about the electrical connector on the BOV ??
Some cars were equipped with a overboost warning light. I suppose cars without it might have just not had the harness to plug into it??? My car doesn't have the sensor at all nor the harness, although you can tell the plastic part of the BOV has a spot where the sensor was at in a former engineering level but it is formed over. Maybe I'll post some pics of it.
Vincent Waldon wrote:
For one thing...you're low on coolant... cooling is very important for a TD.
Now thats a good catch. But I'd me more concerned with the quality of the coolant. See pic.

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Maybe I should have blanked out the date on that last pic.

OK, yes, I admit it! I've been driving it since then. And no I havn't had any overheating problems. Actually I just drove it on a 6 hour round trip to Jefferson City. Stupid I know. I know I shouldn't subject my car to that kind of abuse. I'm a pitiful sick individual and I'll never frequent this board again till I repent of my ignorant behaviour and am worthy of being here.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

In other words, the seeping valve cover gasket is the least of your worries !!

Thanks for the comments about the BOV connector... I'm enough of a geek that I'd probably put a light on the dash for it (next to boost and EGT), except that it's about to get the "defeat completely with a spacer" maneuver.

On behalf of the entire group: sorry for your loss. I'm sure your headgasket has gone to a better place.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

AT LEAST I DIDN'T DRIVE THE CAR TILL THE REAR END FELL OUT LIKE FATMOBILE DID <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6236" target="_blank">IN THIS LINK </a> .
Last edited by CoolAirVw on Thu May 10, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

QuantumDave
Cetane Booster

Post by QuantumDave »

So What did I win???

You know, I would have taken longer to notice that if my heater core didn't rupture last week :evil:

Dave
91 Jetta 1.6 NA
374K & still going on the original engine & IP at the time I sold it.
That car taught me quite a bit.
97 Passat TDI 277K
05 Passat TDI 48K
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

CoolAirVw wrote:AT LEAST I DIDN'T DRIVE THE CAR TILL THE REAR END FELL OUT LIKE FATMOBILE DID.

SEE LINK!
viewtopic.php?t=6236
My favorite part of the link...
Fatmobile wrote: Well the rear end broke free of the body while going through town. I've had this happen before...

I assume you've checked to make sure that it isn't the oil cooler that's leaking.

Andrew