Installing a Header on a diesel

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

VW headers.

Post by hagar »

I hagar --(commandante) ---no longer give ORDERS --OK ? ---he only gives INFORMATION ---on how he does things , what kind of lube and tools etc etc etc he uses --- I find that a LOT more FUN.

And FUN is where real " Hillbilly - TUNING " --is at .

hagar.

PS : a "BIG-MAC" ? ----forget it ---I do your pipes and you TEACH me to surf ---OK ? .---and a brew after.----eh surfcam ---Long Beach BC --has excellent surfing.

BUT I have friends in Kalifornia.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I wouldn't feel to sorry for me. I get 6 month on the water and then go ice surfing with a sail or kite. I'm suppose to be testing wet suites for a surf shop manufacture out of Santa Monica. Glazier feed lakes are idea for this. Water 33 and air 75. Don't fall or you get a ice cream headache. Hosers have lots of fun too eh.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

VanagonMark wrote:
GreyRabbit wrote:I've never used the real tool but a 2" muffler clamp makes it a breeze. No difficulty at all. Off and back on in less than a minute.
OK, you got me interested. How do you adapt the muffler clamp? I am
puzzled.

Those big C clamps take that special spreader...and are a POA. How
does the muffler clamp work on the header and exhaust manifold?
See:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... tClampTool

'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
hotroddr
Glow Plug

Post by hotroddr »

There is a much easier way than an exhaust clamp. I tilt the exhaust way to one side and put one C clamp on by hand. Then I take the other C clamp to the vise and clamp it in. I pry it so that it spreads apart and then put a rod or bolt in place similar to the exhaust clamp idea, it must be long enough but not too long. I use the heat shield bolt with the nut juuust started backwards on the end. It can now by put on by hand, once it is in place, tap out the bolt from inside the C clamp and it snaps tight. Its really a piece of cake job once you figure it out.
Hopefully this skilled paint diagram will help everyone visualize what I mean

*edit*
I suppose I should address the header issue. I dont believe a header is necessary on the diesel as the manifold is really a nicely cast piece. It is free flowing until the toilet bowl. That is the area that really needs to be enlarged. I enlarged mine but it could be done better than I did it.
Dennis