98/99 mk3 Golf diesel?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Jake_Speed
Glow Plug

98/99 mk3 Golf diesel?

Post by Jake_Speed »

I'm looking for a later A3 Golf 1.9 IDI, but I never seem to come across a 98 or 99 A3 in a diesel... only up to 97. Does anyone know if vw didn't offer the IDI Golf for those 2 years perhaps due to a conflict in marketing with the introduction of the TDI Jetta in 97? I'm in Canada but possibly the same situation in the US? I'm quite certain the TDI (at least for North America) was never offered in a Golf until the A4.

Has anyone ever put a 1.6 N/A into a MK3 Golf? (That's my plan B)

Jake
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

In the US, I do not know about Canada, the IDI was never put into a A3. The IDI ended in the US in 92. During the first years of the A3 before the TDI, the US was in a shift of diesel from regular diesel to LSD. I think that VW held out in the diesel market during that time just like they are now. Then, in 96, A3 had the option of the TDI. I have never put a IDI in an A3, but I did see an A3 Jetta on eBay back in the fall with a 1.6 NA IDI. It was a 94 Jetta with 67k on engine and 128k on the body. He started the bigging at $2,500 and he got no bids. So, if you ever do put a 1.6 diesel in an A3, do not plan on it holding value at that point. The 1.9 you talk about would make it have more power and be better than the 1.6.

In my opinion, the only reason I would put a diesel in an A3 is if I bought it as a gas with a really really good deal, and had a spare engine laying around. Otherwise, if I was going to put a bunch of money in it, I would go all out with a rebuilt early TDI engine in it. 1.6 NA IDI in that heavier car would also make me pair it up with the awful AWY tranny just to have any power with it. You might be better off just finding an 96 - 99.5 A3 with a TDI in it. Last I checked, they were going around $5,000 + in eBay.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I met a guy that ordered a new 97 jetta with a 1.9TD in it. The reason he did is because the TDI,s only come full load so they were 10,000 more. I believe the Golf didn't get the TDI until 99. This is in the Great White North and thats all I know about it.

4BTA 3.9 Cummins Stepvan
86TD Golf
91TD Jetta