Tiny Bubbles... Into IP

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

longyard
Cetane Booster

Tiny Bubbles... Into IP

Post by longyard »

I just changed the pipe that goes into my IP ('82 1.6NA) and can now see a continuous stream of very tiny bubbles going through the line into the IP. When I shut down the engine the line shows only about 1/4 full of fuel. When I start up, the line mostly fills up, but again, a continuous stream of tiny bubbles.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill
tawney
Turbo Charger

Post by tawney »

The vane pump in the IP 'pulls' fuel into the pump from the tank; there is either a fuel line connection that is not tight enough or there is an obstuction which limits the fuel flow too much, (or both,) and the result allows air to be sucked into the fuel line. How old is the fuel filter? Tighten the clamps and tighten or replace the filter; air in the pump is not good.
Hans
Glow Plug

Post by Hans »

I'm also having the same problem, tiny bubbles coming out of the filter to the IP. I put a clear line going to the filter and can see bubbles coming out of the metal line going to the filter, so I think I may have an obstruction somewhere in the metal fuel line.

Anyone have any good methods for clearing crud out of old metal lines?
83 Rabbit 1.6L NA
202,000 miles
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

My Caddy had a slight air leak at the old rubber inlet there just prior to the filter

I replaced the clear line, but I could see some bubbles coming from the pump. I traced it down to that pressed in factory connection
longyard
Cetane Booster

Post by longyard »

Thanks to Hans and Mark for their comments on the "tiny bubbles". I checked carefully the rubber line leading into the fuel filter and it does seems to have some fine cracks in it. I'm going to change that this morning and see what happens.

Thanks!
Bill L.