1.6 IDI to 1.6 TD IDI: Any special needs for conversion?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

58custom
Glow Plug

1.6 IDI to 1.6 TD IDI: Any special needs for conversion?

Post by 58custom »

I am considering buying a low-mileage used 1.6 ID turbo engine for my 1982 Caddy. It currently has a 1.6 and a five speed and factory AC. What issues might I have with the installation? What do I need to mate the stock IDI exhaust to the turbo? It looks like the same accessory mount is used or can be used: True? I have not heard of firewall clearance issues, but I should ask. Will the IDI flywheel and starter work? Will an IDI clutch set work? (I happen to have a new set)

Thanks for any info.
1980 Caddy
1982 Caddy VegTruck SOLD!
1968 Mercury Cougar
1958 Ford Custom 300

http://www.freewebs.com/vegtruck/index.html
www.351cleveland.net
rayray
Cetane Booster

Post by rayray »

I just finished the same swap on my 82 pickup.
Issues:

The downpipe thingy off the turbo (you did get the downpipe adapter when you bought that engine, right??) doesn't line up with the flange on the non-turbo exhaust. Thus you will need to get an exhaust shop to reweld/reposition the downpipe. Next weekend, I'm having a shop do a custom 2.5" exhaust all the way to the back. I will just bypass that whole clip-and-flange setup that I hate.

The air intake setup is different. Make sure to get that with the engine also. I didn''t but made a custom intake with a turbo snorkel from the junkyard and a k&n filter.

The fuel filter needs to be remounted as the air intake passes right where the old stock filter was. I opted for a rear mount near the fuel tank.

Thats it for modifications. The tranny, clutch, accessories, motor mounts, a/c, etc etc all should swap straight out.
'90 Ram 12V Cummins
'92 Jetta (current gas>TD swap project)
'86 Quantum Synchro SW gasser (future TD project?)
'82 Rabbit TurboDiesel Pickup (Totaled due to inattention)
'83 Quantum TurboDiesel sedan (crushed)
'82 Quantum TurboDiesel wagon (crushed)
'82 Quantum gasser (totaled by drunk driver)
'85 Quantum SW gasser (crushed)
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

The best downpipe to use is the Passenger Performance one from BC. Here's mine in my 81 Caddy. Exhaust is the only issue here.

DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada