Intalling a A-2 Turbo onto a Bunny Diesel Automatic Trans

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Intalling a A-2 Turbo onto a Bunny Diesel Automatic Trans

Post by VanagonMark »

I scored a 84 Westmoreland Diesel (AUTOMATIC) with all the options including sunroof today. 42,000 miles.

Old man had it up near Yosemite in his barn. Never could get it to start in the cold mornings. (Sound familiar???)

I have this A-2 turbo head with all the goodies. I'm going to yank the
non turbo head and put this turbo unit on this jewel. Since it has the factory automatic trans then the added umph from the turbo ought to make up for the loss.

What will I be facing in running the stock injection pump?
Will I have issues with spooling up with the stock pump?
v8volvo
Turbo Charger

Post by v8volvo »

You'll be able to spool the turbo and get boost, but without the aneroid on the pump you won't get any fuel compensation (added fuel to match the extra air from the turbo). That means the engine will run really clean, no smoke at all, but not make as much power as it could if you had the extra fuel too. It would have the power of an EcoDiesel, not a true TD.

However, that might be just as well, given that you'll only be using the turbo head and leaving the bottom end stock. With no piston squirters, like the TD block has, it might be smart to keep your combustion temps down by leaving the fueling alone. You will get better torque and power with the turbo as-is, and your combustion/exhaust temps will actually be lower than they are on the stock NA motor in there now (diesel EGT is a function only of the fuel-air ratio -- so more air with same fuel actually makes more power with less EGT). It will run cleaner and more efficiently and not lose any power at high altitude too, which is great.

I'd go for it, and leave the pump alone. As soon as you get a TD pump on there, you gotta start worrying about damaging the engine, but as you're planning to do, it oughtta be a great match.
'81 Rabbit 1.6D/5-speed, sold '09
'86 Volvo 740 TD wagon, 295k
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

My second home is near Yosemite Park. There are some long hard pulls going up---then slow twisty turns.....

If I had the stock pump, would the engine be in trouble if one held the gas flat out for long periods of time, then in and out as you twist up the hill at 35?

I have access to a 90 pump. It came off of a ECO motor. Not sure the condition but my guy who farms our acres down the road has a good diesel mechanic. He could probably test it for me.

Never owned an automatic diesel, my question is the long hard flat out pull, then in and out on the gas as the altitude rises....

Would I be blowing black smoke out the back in for long periods of time until the turbo spools up
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

turbo

Post by Fatmobile »

The turbo pump is used to keep the smoke down before boost.
I predict that with a turbo and an NA pump, you'll have great bunches of smoke before boost and it should clear up after boost is added depending where you have the max fuel screw set..
Keeping your foot out of it before boost will help keep the smoke down. The TD pump does this without having to keep your foot light.
The eco pump delivers less fuel, with it's smaller plunger head.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

v8volvo wrote:You'll be able to spool the turbo and get boost, but without the aneroid on the pump you won't get any fuel compensation (added fuel to match the extra air from the turbo). That means the engine will run really clean, no smoke at all, but not make as much power as it could if you had the extra fuel too. It would have the power of an EcoDiesel, not a true TD.
The ECO had the K14 which is a much smaller and faster spooling turbo than the T3 or K24 and so power and response will be less than the ECO by a fair amount. If running the non-turbo pump then a smaller turbo would be a very good idea. You will still be able to produce some boost without off-boost smoke, but not until probably 3500 rpms or so. It's worth it if you have the parts laying around.

Andrew
v8volvo
Turbo Charger

Post by v8volvo »

libbybapa wrote:The ECO had the K14 which is a much smaller and faster spooling turbo than the T3 or K24 and so power and response will be less than the ECO by a fair amount. If running the non-turbo pump then a smaller turbo would be a very good idea. You will still be able to produce some boost without off-boost smoke, but not until probably 3500 rpms or so. It's worth it if you have the parts laying around.
Very good point, I forgot about that. Even with the big turbo it will be nice, and keep you from losing power when climbing mountains at high altitude, but a smaller turbo would make the whole thing much more worthwhile. Either way, response will certainly still be improved over what you have now.

If you keep the stock pump you have now, and don't increase the fueling, it will not smoke any more than it does now. It will supply the same amount of fuel you're getting now during the period where there's not much boost (so it'll basically act like an NA engine, as it does currently), and then when the boost comes online, whatever small amount of smoke is there will go away completely.
'81 Rabbit 1.6D/5-speed, sold '09
'86 Volvo 740 TD wagon, 295k
VanagonMark
Cetane Booster

Post by VanagonMark »

I'm going to give it a try and if it doesn't work out, there is a big nasty old DUMPSTER behind my barn that holds lots of stuff...