head light conversion

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

diesel freak
Diesel Freak

head light conversion

Post by diesel freak »

I have a two headlight seal beam system on my 1986 golf diesel. Can I convert this to a 4 headlight system like the Cab or GTI. How would I change the wires from single seal beam to the two individual high/low beam headlights ?
wadada
Cetane Booster

Post by wadada »

Check out the vwvortex.com forums. They are more geared toward mods like this.
89 Fox Diesel, too many Saabs, 59 Chevy Truck
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Typically those are set up with a one dual beam (low+high) lamp and one that is high beam only. You would use the stock wiring to drive the high-low beam lamp and the add a pigtail off the high beam wires to drive the second lamp. Probably a good idea to add relays and upgrade the stock wiring to handle the extra load:

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... ghts.shtml
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

headlights

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, use the stock wires to trigger relays in the engine bay and run the relays to the proper plugs for the back of the lights you want.
When I swapped quad rounds onto my '91 Golf, the plugs for the headlights (9004s? I think) was the same as stock round headlights I ended up with. I suppose you could get the proper/later plug from many different cars at the salvage yard.
For the center lights I used some plugs I found at the salvage yard,... I think it was from the front sidemarker light plugs on an A2.
I've been using a rear defroster switch for the center lights... I should have rigged it up so the center light switch got power from the highbeams... so it would only be on when the high beams were on and would shut off when I cut the high beams ...but I could shut them off and use just the highbeams. Hate having to use 2 switches to turn off two sets of bright headlights everytime a car comes.
I'm not sure what plugs work with what headlights so you'd have to know what kind of headlight bulbs you want first.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.