power potential for 1.6TD and 1.9TD

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

worf81rab
Glow Plug

power potential for 1.6TD and 1.9TD

Post by worf81rab »

I'm new to the diesel end of VW's and would like to know how realistic my dreams for my 81 Rabbit are. It's my understanding that a standard 1.8 gas motor in healthy,stock form can handle 200 to 250 HP assuming that your wallet allows you the goodies to stuff that much fuel and air into it, and while It seems that most VW diesel owners are more into efficiency than speed, I'm sure some of you have pushed the limits of these motors. I'm not going to the salt flats or anything like that but 150 HP in a Rabbit(especially if I was burning Biodiesel) would be a blast, so is this at all feasable? How much boost can you run? Blueprint and balance, port and polish, lightend flywheel, any of this gonna do any good? Please be as technical and up front as possible, no sugar coating, I can take it.
88 Jetta GL
85 Audi 5000 cs Turbo
81 Rabbit Diesel
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Head right over to the GTD forum. www.vwdiesel.net and start reading the past threads.

Andrew
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Raw Rabbit ---POWER.

Post by hagar »

worf81rab
Glow Plug ---------Kalifornia dreamer ----I like your post so much --it will be framed ,and will hang on the wall of my shop to the day I die. --Thank you.

I wish I could go back and be a "Glowplug" again and only one post -----

Follow that yellow brick road ---and may the force be with you.------and that you may have as much FUN as I ---Horrible Hagar.

hagar.
worf81rab
Glow Plug

Post by worf81rab »

Thanx Hagar, I've noticed you have quite a presence on this board and I'm sure the collective wisdom here will keep me from making too many mistakes.
88 Jetta GL
85 Audi 5000 cs Turbo
81 Rabbit Diesel
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

I presently have a slightly moded 1.6TD in my Rabbit Pickup and I'm now building a ported, ballanced AAZ (1.9)TD with a Garrett T3 turbo, a lightened flywheel, a Giles pump and intercooler. I've driven this combo (not quite as good) in a Mk2 Jetta and when the boost hits 18psi in third gear, the tires break loose. I am installing a GOOD clutch.
I plan to run a variable boost setup with 15-18psi daily but 30psi when needed. :wink:
Lookout Hondas ! :shock:
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada
worf81rab
Glow Plug

Post by worf81rab »

Thats the kind of info I'm here for. I've seen aaz motors mentioned a few times but have been unable to decifer what vehicles they have been sourced from.
88 Jetta GL
85 Audi 5000 cs Turbo
81 Rabbit Diesel
dubdoc
Diesel Freak

Post by dubdoc »

The "problem" with an AAZ, is that it wasn't available in the USA. It was the 1.9 IDI diesel found in most Mk 3 Jettas in Canada and Europe. I never drove my 95 Jetta into the US that some dealer didn't try to buy it off me. It's a good strong diesel with some unique, easily fixed, problems, that makes very decent power for daily driving. It doesn't rev up like a 1.6, but has bags of torque.
You'll have to look to Canada for one if you're interested.
DC Stewart
Milford Station
Nova Scotia, Canada