Engine jammed?

Moderator: Fatmobile

cocoboloart
Glow Plug

new problems

Post by cocoboloart »

Now that everything is back together I have a new problem... it won't start. I was really careful getting the timing perfect this time and turned it over several times by hand.
I went through everything in the how to get the diesel started thread. I felt like it wasn't turning over very fast even with a brand new 900CCA battery so I took the starter off and apart and found one broken piece inside (a bushing) so I decided to get a new one. Turns over (although I feel like it's a little slow, I'm afraid the gear reduction is too slow) easily after having it plugged in and the battery fully charged.
I have clear fuel line and I checked far fuel at the injectors so I don't think thats a problem.
I just replaced the glow plugs a few weeks before the valve broke but I am suspected some problem with them. The wiring all looks pretty bad and the glow plug fuse is not there. Whoever had it before me just put all three wires on the same screw and didn't bother with the fuse. Is it possible that my glow plugs are shot already? I am getting 10+ on #1 and the relay turnes on and off but when I crank it it just cranks and cranks and nothing happens. I'm just wondering what my next move should be. I don't really want to take the injectors out as I just put them in but I need a definite way to know if the plugs are getting hot. I put a wire directly from the battery to #4 and none of the plugs got hot to the touch. Does this mean they are bad? Any ideas would be great.
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

you are brave.....

I don't have a ampmeter for 40amps but if I did I would test the amps drawn by the glows. Since I don't i hook up a wire 20-12ga (speaker wire if you need... or house wire)
Put one end of the wire on the battery positive and touch the glow connections one at a time. (no bus... remove the bus bar)

If you see a spark it works..... well it probably works.

Good luck... I hope it works out.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You're sure about timing? Not 180° out on the pump or cam? Fuel is squirting out of the injector lines?

Andrew
cocoboloart
Glow Plug

bad new starter

Post by cocoboloart »

I finally had a chance to mess with the van again. I made two discoveries. One, the glow plugs get nice and red hot. Two, the starter does not turn the engine over nearly fast enough. I think I may have been more or less lied to about this starter. I believe it was an SR28 but in any case I did not realize how slow it was turning the engine over until I had someone else crank. I tied it to the back of our car with an old seat belt today and got it started it ran well and I'm happy after all this time that it fired up so now I just want to know where and what is the best starter I can get for turning the engine over. I read the direct drive is better but didn't know what model or part number to be looking for ?