FS: '92 Jetta Turbodiesel (real, not eco) NY/NJ $5500.

Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

anarchyx34
Glow Plug

FS: '92 Jetta Turbodiesel (real, not eco) NY/NJ $5500.

Post by anarchyx34 »

I'm selling my '92 Jetta turbodiesel. This car started off life as a gasser, and I bought a real 'MF' engine code engine from a Canadian '92 Jetta and did the swap. This swap is nearly 100% complete using factory parts with the exception of the glow plug harness. I opted instead to use a pushbutton/relay setup as the factory setup keeps the plugs running for up to 60 seconds after the engine is started putting unnecessary strain on the alternator/battery. When I did the swap I bought as many new parts as I could, and there have been some that I've replaced along the way. The car itself has 160k on it, and I've got about ~20k mostly highway miles on the car since I've done the swap.

New parts:
-Radiator
-Alternator
-Starter
-Water pump, housing and thermostat.
-Power steering pump
-glow plugs
-timing belt & tensioner
-all engine gaskets/seals exc. head gasket.
-heater core
-blower motor (did this one yesterday)
-strut mounts (did these yesterday too)
-rear windshield (New OEM)
-Tires (Yoko H4S with LOTS of tread left)
-front hydraulic motor mount
-OEM sachs clutch.
-exhaust manifold gaskets, studs and nuts (this was a PITA to fix)

Additionally, the car has:
-Front power Recaros.
-Carat rear seat (with headrests)
-GLI leather steering wheel
-Quad round grille with fluted crosshairs.
-Freezing cold A/C (converted to 134a last year)
-Brakes are nearly new front and rear.
-diesel cluster w/tach.
-Converted stupid passive seatbelts to regular 3 point belts.

Overall the car looks pretty good although there ares some scratches/chips/dings typical for a 15 year old car. The motor runs excellent and has started (using 5w-40 synth.) in as cold as 8F. The only time you ever see smoke from this engine is at night with headlights behind you and flooring it at high rpms. This is not a stinking/smoking dirty diesel, runs very clean. The car also tracks straight and doesn't have any vibrations on the highway.

Problems with the car:
-Axle flange seals leak a little (I've only had to add 1/2 qt. trans oil once the entire time I've had the car)
-despite changing all the gaskets there is a minor oil leak coming from somewhere around where the valve cover meets the inner timing cover. it's pretty minor and dosent usually leave spots on the ground. It is NOT the head gasket.
-speedometer cable ticks
-shifter bushings are pretty worn. I'll include the bushing kit, I just haven't had time to install it.
-cold start cable broken. I have the idle adjusted slightly higher than stock so it idles fine in cold weather, and doesn't vibrate like many do esp. with the a/c on. I never needed the cable.
-coolant light blinks at times for no reason. This was a problem even before the swap and from what I understand is a common Mk2 issue that nobody knows how to fix. The car doesn't leak/burn coolant.

As far as the motor itself, the car it came from had over 200k on it. But I believe this engine was rebuilt due to numbers scribed on the rod-bearing caps which is not there from the factory. I had the oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs recently and it had very good results.

As far as why I'm selling the car? I'm going through Volvo withdrawal, and I'll be getting a new job soon that wont require me traveling the distances I was every day. I'm asking for $5500 neg. for this car, which I feel is reasonable considering market conditions, and that this is a '92. As far as the radio is concerned. I was planning on taking it with me, but if you want it I'll leave it in for a little extra. It's a nice unit cd/mp3 and with an aux. input for your ipod. I'll let the pics say the rest: PM me with any questions.

'92 Jetta 1.6 TD.
'90 Mazda 626 GT. FE3 DOHC swap. The perpetual project car. :)