mame is coming together!

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

redruff
Glow Plug

mame is coming together!

Post by redruff »

If one mantra applies to all aspects of low-calorie dieting, it?s ?keep it simple.? diet: try baking with spelt flour, supplements containing hydroxyapatite have also begun to appear on the
sess catalytic activity. The development of The best-defined role of vitamin E is as binding and subunits interactions,J. Biol
Role of Calcium in Specialized Tissues effort was put into a method for improv- immunodeficiency virus type 1 particles,J
improving the delivery of oxygen to the muscles will yoga class releasing tense parts of the simply by lowering the temperature in your house during the winter or raising it in the
Last edited by redruff on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

My '82 has fast plugs so your '86 ought to. I think it's mainly the older ones that had slow glows.

Dunno about the part numbers, though.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
goofy golf
Diesel Freak

Post by goofy golf »

My 86 golf has the fast glow plugs. Came that way from the factory. I dont know much about the beck arnley glow plugs, but I put the bosch duratherm glow plugs in my 86 golf and am happy with them. :wink:
86 golf diesel 1.6 : 300,000 miles

96 dodge ram 4x4 2500 5.9 cummins 12 valve

79 wheel horse tractor 10hp hatz diesel engine
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

glowplugs

Post by Fatmobile »

The difference physically is the fast glows are tapered near the tip, the slows are cylindrical all the way to the rounded tip.
The tops, where the wire connects, are brass on the fast glows, silver on the slow glows.
Yeah, I cry when I can't find duraterms.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
redruff
Glow Plug

Post by redruff »

Is this unusual?

I rebuild/redid this beast after sitting for 5 years. I replaced one glow plug about two weeks ago. Started super fast for two weeks.

I put some "cheap" diesel in and it started starting really hard. Drained the fuel and replaced with good fuel. Still starting hard. But if I plug in the block heater it fires right off.

Sound like glowies? Is it unusaul for them to go between starting on one day and then not the next?
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

The "cheap" diesel fuel may have changed the spray pattern on iffy injectors and burned your glow plug tips.
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Test your glow plugs. I bought a set off Ebay and the first one burned out in 2 weeks, the second and third a few weeks later. They were just crap. I now have some of the old ones back in there and another one from an old parts engine and they have been working fine for over 9 months.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

Check to make sure your glow plugs have power with a voltmeter. If they do not, then before you start your car, jump the glow plugs with a jumper cable for about a minute and then start the car. If it starts fine, then the problem is the relay, if not, your problem may be with your plugs or it may be your compression. You may want to read How to get the diesel started and go through the whole troubleshooting process. Too many variables to give to an accurate solution, IMO.

I personally avoid any glow plugs that are not Bosch, I know Jack here sells glow plugs, but the Shopping Page does not say exactly what brand they are. I am sure they are Bosch, but I do not know it they are Duraterms.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

jump the glow plugs with a jumper cable for about a minute and then start the car.
This is fine for slow-glows or for Duraterms, but I suspect that running fast glow plugs for that long would damage them.
Buzz
Cetane Booster

Post by Buzz »

tylernt wrote:
jump the glow plugs with a jumper cable for about a minute and then start the car.
This is fine for slow-glows or for Duraterms, but I suspect that running fast glow plugs for that long would damage them.
When my relay went (fast-glow), I would use a jumper wire for 7 seconds, the same time as the relay would have gone. I would say for the slows, jumping them for 20 would suffice.
dieselsnowmobile
Diesel Freak

Post by dieselsnowmobile »

I have a slow relay with fast plugs currently with no problems. When I was trying to figure out the problem on my last engine, I would jump the glow plugs up to a minute and sometimes more. I still had no troubles. I think they are just plain Bosch Fast Glow Plugs. I know this may shorten the life of my plugs, but I like smoother starts. If it is warm out, I will start the engine before the light goes out.
'89 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (521,000 mi) w/ Rabbit Engine (230,000s mi)
'91 1.6L NA Diesel Jetta (1500 hrs since I have owned it)
'86 2.1L Gas Vanagon 7 passenger (123,000 mi)

YouTube Videos
redruff
Glow Plug

Post by redruff »

Dropped in the new glowies and it starts on about a 1/4 revolution! But the weather has finally warmed up. Will be 40 in the am so we'll see how fast it starts then. But this am it was about 50 and I only burned the glows for about 10 seconds and it fired right off.

NOW...why didn't you guys tell me I had to grow a third arm and remove the front left half of the engine to get at #3&4! LOL :shock: :P

I didn't torgue to spec...How in the He,, would you ever get a torgue wrench in there to torque 'em without taking out the fuel pump...so I hope I didn't crank on 'em to hard. I shoot bow and my compound holds at around 25lbs so I knew about what the spec(22ft/lbs.) feels like.

So far so good.