Timing problem with 83 rabbit

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

sparksdc
Cetane Booster

Timing problem with 83 rabbit

Post by sparksdc »

Did a search and got a few ideas but will try to be more model specific. Apologize if this counts as "stupid question" but apparently I qualify.

1st diesel I've ever worked with, sat for 12 years but I got it to start and run halfway decent. Replaced all the leaking fuel lines and of course the IP seals were shot so it leaked. Took of the IP and had it resealed, replaced all the belts. Had the camshaft locked, the IP sprocket locked and (I thought) the flywheel mark lined up, but the timing belt was impossible to get on by a half tooth, then it slid on. Started it up and it ran like crap with lots of white smoke-but it started in 30 degree weather which was much better than when the pump leaked. I put the IP back to same marks it had when taken off- but had to rotate toward engine to reduce smoke and keep cold start advance pulled to make it run.

Assumed I screwed up the timing, so tried to re-time. Everytime I try to get the belt on it seems like it's a half tooth from being able to put it on. The flywheel mark ends up 1 tooth off the rest to get the belt on. Only sprocket I took off was for the IP and loosened the adjuster pulley.

Do I need to loosen the cam sprocket to get this thing timed again, or which marks HAVE to line up? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
"To the man with only a hammer in his toolbox, everything looks like a nail."

'83 Rabbit 1.6L-It's alive!
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The cam and crank NEED to line up. If the cam is off, the pistons can hit the valves and ruin the head. The IP can rotate in its bracket. The pump lock is not a positive timing alignment, but rather a relative one and so there is usually a fair amount of play in it. Bear in mind that the cam and crank should be perfectly in time with ALL of the belt slack in the tensioner area. Do not over-tighten the timing belt or you will ruin the IP bearing and the intermediate shaft bearings.

Andrew
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Yes, you may need to loosen the camshaft sprocket (it doesn't have a key and is intended to be loosened and aligned during a full timing check).

TDC is your absolute reference mark... make sure you are exactly there. With the cam locked at the back you loosen the camshaft sprocket, slide the belt on, adjust the belt tension, and retighten the cam sprocket... now the crank and the cam are in perfect alignment.

Last is the IP... the mark on the sprocket (and locking the sprocket with a locking tool) are coarse alignments only... the proper procedure involves using a dial indicator... search for "timing' here and you'll find lots of instructions and pictures.

Holler if any of the above is unclear.... welcome to the diesel world !!

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
rwest1
Cetane Booster

Post by rwest1 »

"Only sprocket I took off was for the IP and loosened the adjuster pulley.

Do I need to loosen the cam sprocket to get this thing timed again, or which marks HAVE to line up?"

There is a detailed procedure for timing one of these engines and yes loosening the cam sprocket is part of it! Get a copy of this procedure (Bentley, online,etc.) and follow it carefully! Someone else in the forum may be able to point you to where to find. As already stated incorrect timing can DESTROY your engine. I recommend that you park it until you have timing set correctly!!
sparksdc
Cetane Booster

Post by sparksdc »

Thanks for the advice all. I got the timing set-much easier this way :D

Tried to crank a few times, but my battery was about dead. Also noticed some bubbles in the Tygon fuel line I replaced the Urethane one with. It seems to have "loosened" around the barbs with moving it around. Did get the bunny to cough though, so will charge battery and try tomorrow. Pump is filled with clean diesel and trying the ATF in the filter.

Tomorrow, the bunny will live! :twisted:

Thanks again,
Todd
"To the man with only a hammer in his toolbox, everything looks like a nail."

'83 Rabbit 1.6L-It's alive!