measuring pistons

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

ahistand
Diesel Freak

measuring pistons

Post by ahistand »

OK, where exactly should you measure the piston diameter so that I can compare it to my cylinder bores to see if I need to get a bore job and bigger pistons. I see the markings on the tops of the pistons, for instance, mine say 76.48 and then below that it says Sp.03..... So does this mean the piston measurement I use is 76.48mm and the cylinder to piston clearance that they are looking for is .03mm (about .001")? If i'm correct, then it looks like I need to go oversize because using that rationale my piston to cylinder wall clearance is like .004". I saw on a chart somewhere that the wear limit is like .0025".

So, then if I need a overbore, when I get the new pistons in, then I take the block to the machine shop and tell them I want the bores .001" larger than the piston diameter that's stamped in the top of the pistons? I've never done an overbore before, so please excuse my ignorance.
Thanks guys.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

bore

Post by Fatmobile »

That sounds right to me.
My machinist said there is so little material to remove that he can't bore it.
He has to hone it to the right size.
The cutter would just skip across the surface when removing such a thin layer.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
dexev
Cetane Booster

Post by dexev »

Is it really ok to just trust the measurement stamped onto the piston? The bentley says to measure them -- but I guess they're not going to wear?
ahistand
Diesel Freak

piston measure

Post by ahistand »

I got new pistons, and the measurement stamped in the top corresponds with a measurement taken about a half inch up from the bottom of the piston skirt 90 deg to the pin. So the new factory clearance is .001" so I'll just add that to the stamped piston size and thats what i'll have them bore it to. I've been doing a little more research and measuring since I posted this first.
rwest1
Cetane Booster

Post by rwest1 »

Use a well known, reputable machine shop that has worked on VW diesels if at all possible, else take your Bentley to show machinist proper fit-up dimensions. Take block & new pistons,machinist should measure then bore & hone cylinders to proper dimension. They s/b the experts as to how much to cut & how much to hone to achieve final specified dimension and proper crosshatch pattern needed for ring seating. I've got into trouble using bargain machine shops in the past and found your usually making a fools bargain in dealing with them!!! This one area where it pays to find the best, and pay the price! Regards
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Here's some specs from Jacks page.

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>