whats missing here??

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

QuantumDave wrote:So What did I win???
You win the old propotioning valve, down to metal brakes, broken park cable, old cracked brake hoses, a wheel cylinder with a bleeder broken off in it, a washer that Previous owner used under the wheel bearing nut, and 2 nails that Previous owner used to block brake pressure to the rear brakes from my recent brake work (discussed here---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6247" target="_blank">Brake Work Link</a>) Just send me a small shipping and handling fee and I'll send you your prize.

Oh and here's a pic of whats missing......rain tray 47 bucks, rubber seal 24 bucks, not having engine fumes and particulate emmissions blowing in my face.... priceless!

Last edited by CoolAirVw on Thu May 10, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

libbybapa wrote:I assume you've checked to make sure that it isn't the oil cooler that's leaking.
Would I need a cooling system pressure tester for that? I was just planning on doing the head gasket and the cooler. I allready bought a new cooler from Jack (good deal at 75 bucks for new one). I'll probally be doing the head gasket, cooler, clutch and maybe some other stuff in the next few weeks. Should I document with pics?
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
arfalberg
Cetane Booster

Post by arfalberg »

Were u get rain tray and seal from? VW Stealership? I been lookin and cant find one. Although I have not called the stealership about thouse parts yet.
Adam F.

'73 Superbeetle
'85 Jetta TD
'96 Saturn SL2
'89 Jeep Cherokee (Gold Edition)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You could pull the cooler, add appropriate hose/plug to put compressed air to it (a bicycle pump would work fine) and shove it in a bucket of water and look for bubbles. If it is only the cooler, you would be saving a whole lot of labor. If it wasn't the cooler you'd be wasting a bit of time checking.

Andrew
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

arfalberg wrote:Were u get rain tray and seal from? VW Stealership? I been lookin and cant find one. Although I have not called the stealership about thouse parts yet.
Yes I got from dealership. Ed over there hooks me up. You'd better let me get the part numbers for ya because they had trouble finding both parts. Got wrong parts for both on the first try.

Hey accroding to your signiture line we have the same car! I'll get the part numbers for you and hopefully post them tonight.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

arfalberg wrote:Were u get rain tray and seal from? VW Stealership? I been lookin and cant find one. Although I have not called the stealership about thouse parts yet.
Rain Tray (water deflector) is 191-819-415-c $47.86
Rubber Gasket is 701-823-737 (cut to fit) $24.88

Note: I work at a shop and get a minor discount. Your prices may be different.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

rain tray

Post by Fatmobile »

For those of you shopping for raintrays, remember around '90 they started using a stronger rain tray.
They usually sell for over $45 used but I think more '90-'92 Golf/Jettas are getting scrapped now so they have become more available on the vortex and the price has dropped to around $35.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

CoolAirVw wrote:
Vincent Waldon wrote:Anyone know about the electrical connector on the BOV ??
Some cars were equipped with a overboost warning light. I suppose cars without it might have just not had the harness to plug into it??? My car doesn't have the sensor at all nor the harness, although you can tell the plastic part of the BOV has a spot where the sensor was at in a former engineering level but it is formed over. Maybe I'll post some pics of it.
Ok, finally got around to a pic.

Notice the screw in the middle. Is this thing adjustable???? I dont think you could raise the boost that would be a function of the boost control vacuum pod thingy (cant remember the name, I'm a professional folks :D ) Actually is this a BOV at all or is it just a plug for the hole?? I'll look at it closer tomorrow.

BOV without overboost warning sensor.

Oh once again, sorry to ressurect an old thread.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

First off, resurrecting old threads is almost infinitely preferable to posting a new one. :wink:

What you have pictured is a BOV. Entirely unnecessary on a diesel and dispensed with never to return from "91 on (in the US). On the gas engines, it allows a release of boost pressure for when the throttle closes. These diesels don't have throttles (no diesel should...) and so do not need a BOV. The BOV does not regulate the boost pressure. That is done by the wastegate on the turbocharger. The wastegate is not a boost thingy but rather than a vacuum thingy.

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

boost

Post by Fatmobile »

I took Jake's (fspGTD) advice over on the GTD forum,... and removed the screw, put a small bolt in the hole and screwed the adjuster cap back in.
So I can boost to 18psi.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

That's a great trick. I actually use bolts that are sized so the spring just fits over the threads and then screw it down. That way you don't lose the spring if someone in the future wants to enable it again (for some unknown reason...).

Andrew