change bushings

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

MPalm
Turbo Charger

change bushings

Post by MPalm »

Does anyone know if it's a pain in the a** to change the bushings in the rear axle? Those between r-a and the chassi of the car. My Passat is kinda low in the rear but springs/shocks seem to be fine.
It feels like the rear is "loose" sometimes, especially when driving over a crest midcorner, it weaves and rolls a bit.
Do I need some special tools to change the bushings or is it a straightforward job?
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Re: change bushings

Post by tylernt »

It feels like the rear is "loose" sometimes, especially when driving over a crest midcorner, it weaves and rolls a bit.
I can't answer your question directly, but you are describing exactly what my Fox used to do. New rear shocks solved it, and I never even touched the bushings.

Sorry I can't answer your questions about the bushings though.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Hmmm no one ever changed their rear-axel bushings???
Looks like they might need some pursuaition to pop out but I don't know if I need special tools to press them out :?

Of course it could also be down to tired springs that sags under the weight of the car, is there any way of checking if the springs are OK? Besides taking them out and measure the free lenght.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

I think I saw a post in the VWVortex.com forum about rear axle bushings. Might do a search there.

Not sure how to check the springs.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Thanx tylernt, I found something interesting, it's possible to take them out without special tools but not always in one piece...Oh well, that's fine by me :twisted:

If someone knows the free lenght of the springs I could take mine out of the car and measure them.
Maybe I could measure between the wheelarc and the centre of the wheel hub??
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
jsm
Glow Plug

Rear Axle Bushing

Post by jsm »

You've probably already done this job, but just for the sake of it... :)

I did do a rear axle bushing on my car (92 Jetta 1.6L TD), I think it might be the same for your car, but I'm not sure - someone else may be able to confirm that. Anyway, I did it without taking the axle off the car. I just unbolted it at the bushings, and let it hang down, you may need to disconnect the brake lines. I did have a hard time getting the old one out and it didn't come in one piece, but we eventually got it. Getting the new bushing in was impossible until I got a huge vise under the car and, using various spacers, got it pressed in.

Anyway, hope that helps someone :)

Justin
91 Jetta 1.6L Turbo Diesel (latest daily driver)
92 Jetta 1.6L Turbo Diesel (relegated to parts car :( )
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

Thanks for the input!
I've got some more important issues with my Passat so I have yet to do this bushing change. I think I'm going to give it a try sometime soon, but first I'm gonna get some "heavier" tools so I'll get the job done :twisted: .

Somehow all sorts of problems just pop out at the same time, first things with my car and now it has spread to my bike ...I have to change the brakerotors on it (kawi zzr600) :?
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I changed the rear springs today, still same old bushings in it. The old springs looked OK but when I changed them, the rear got more than 1" higher!
I have yet to see if the weaving and rolling stopped too or if I'll end up changing the bushings too.

The fun thing about the springs was that the new set of springs was actually shorter than the old saggy ones when I had them on the table side by side!
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km