Leaky Rabbit

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

joshuare
Cetane Booster

Leaky Rabbit

Post by joshuare »

I have a couple of leaks in my 81 diesel rabbit that are giving me some trouble. When it rains, water tends to pool on the floor of the back passengers side. Any ideas where it might be coming it or how to figure it out? The seals on all my doors and the back hatch seem fine. The second and more worrying leak is at my feet when I drive. In the rain water drips right on to my feet. This could definitely cause electrical problems, I know. Where is water likely to be coming from for this one? Thanks for the help.
rwest1
Cetane Booster

Post by rwest1 »

Windshield seal is the most common source for leaks. Also, under hood, in back of firewall, in rain tray is a plastic air intake & blower box. Many leaks come from this area. The gasket between the plastic box and the chassis metal rots out in its old age. Regards
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

leaks

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm thinking windshield too.
,... but make sure the drains in your raintray aren't plugged.
2 drains, one near each end, that are supposed to be filled with a rubber drain thing, that plugs up.
As far as water on the floor, that could be coming from upfront,... but I've heard if the plastic liners under the door covers are missing water can get in the car from inside the door.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
inmytree
Diesel Freak

Post by inmytree »

for the rear doors, I'm thinking it may be the vapor barrier..

http://www.4130-products.com/step/vapor/
1990 Jetta GL Diesel
1991 Vanagon GL w/subaru 2.2
1989 Bronco
2008 Honda Fit Sport
harvey
Cetane Booster

leaks

Post by harvey »

i had the same problem with my '79 when i bought it. the center console would fill up with water every time it rained... the easy solution - silicone caulking. I ran a bead along both the windshield and hood side of the seal (you only really need it along the bottom of the windshield, not all the way around). If you want it to look neat, use masking tape offset about 1/8" from the seal. Make sure you clean everything up with rubbing alcohol before you start.

cheers
joshuare
Cetane Booster

Post by joshuare »

thanks for all the good advice. i'll let you know how it turns out.