clutch slipping

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

stueveone
Cetane Booster

clutch slipping

Post by stueveone »

Hey gang,
So, I finally took the old rabbit for a ride. But, I'm having problems with the clutch. It is grabbing really high and slipping. The clutch is a brand new Sachs unit. All of the shift linkage has been rebuilt, new washers and stuff. The trans only has 70k on it. I've adjusted it to where it should theoretically go. It grabs fine in reverse.

Basically, the car feels like you are trying to take off from 2 gear.

Any solution?
stueveone
Cetane Booster

Post by stueveone »

1981 rabbit 5 speed diesel, sorry
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Hmm. Do you know if the TDC mark is in the right place, and if the glaze on the flywheel was broken before re-assembly?
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
stueveone
Cetane Booster

Post by stueveone »

Figured it out.
While driving down the street, I checked to see how many gears I could shift into while listening/feeling each gear. . . three.
The shift linkage was not hooked up right. I was not starting out in first, but rather starting out in third! No wonder I had to ultra rev to take off and it felt like a tall gear!

So yeah, all good. I just moved the trans over with my hand manually to first gear, the farthest reach, then I hooked up the bottom linkage arm, and then tightened on the linkage assembly to the shift rail at that spot where 1st was.
Shifts like a dream!