suspension REBUILD. . .Bilstein? Springs?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

stueveone
Cetane Booster

suspension REBUILD. . .Bilstein? Springs?

Post by stueveone »

Hey guys,
So as I recently found out while getting my bunny on the road for the first time, 250k miles on my suspension have not been easy. It's time to replace. I have two questions:

-First off, I want to keep stock height. But I also want a really nice ride. Are Bilstein's worth the money?

-I noticed that the Bilstein strut assembly does not come with a new spring. Is it neccesary to install a new spring? If so, what brand are good?
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Dunno about Bilsteins, they do seem to be popular for VWs but I just used whatever was cheap..

You don't need new springs unless yours are sagging. You will need a spring compressor to change out the strut inserts, however. You can usually rent one for $10-$20. Then you get the fun of unscrewing the threads that hold the insert in the strut housing, which are usually rusted and may require a torch... fun stuff. :)

Don't forget to fill the housings with ATF or something before installing the new inserts.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
stueveone
Cetane Booster

Post by stueveone »

What companies sell quality springs that DON'T lower your car? Any sources?
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Jack (owner of this website) might sell them...?
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

i kept my springs, just replaced the shock inside with a KYB shock :)
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Fisher
Cetane Booster

Post by Fisher »

Springs and Shocks on a car do different things. 250,000 miles, your Coil Springs are worn out.

I put new H&R Sport Springs and new Gabrial Gas Shocks on my 84 Jetta, it drives and handles like it did when new.

They lower the car less than an inch, couldn't find any replacement OE Springs and these were the closest to I could find.