Plug attached to the back of the block?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Plug attached to the back of the block?

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Does anyone know why someone would connect/bolt a three prong household electrical cord to the back of the block? Is this a block heater? :?
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

yes
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

We northern Canadians don't leave home without them.

For... hmmmm... about 8 months of the year.

Kidding.

6 months of the year.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Awesome! I was planning on getting one, but this is a nice surprise. I wonder if it works? I may use it during winter, even though I shouldn't need it at ~20F.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

block heater

Post by Fatmobile »

Plug it in and it sounds like an electric water heater.
You can hear it cooking when you listen close.... if it's working.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

That's actually to power the electric motor in your engine, so you can do all your around town driving without burning diesel, IF you have an extension cord long enough.

Andrew
lyeinyoureye
Turbo Charger

Post by lyeinyoureye »

Arg... Where's one of those microwave dish power systems when I need 'em? And a UAV with a parabolic dish/GPS/and all that other crap needed to keep me in constant contact w/ home.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

They can go bad, my car came with one and I left it plugged in for an hour... nothing, not even warm.

It will still help at 20*F though, I know my car is harder to start anywhere below 40*F, so I wish my heater worked!
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

tylernt wrote:They can go bad, my car came with one and I left it plugged in for an hour... nothing, not even warm.

It will still help at 20*F though, I know my car is harder to start anywhere below 40*F, so I wish my heater worked!
I had this problem too. Turns out that the reset switch on the plug outside of my house needed to be reset :lol:
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Some guys here in the prairies put two of them in. at -40cel and a wind you might start with the block heater. Its nice to run a pan heater as well for the oil and also a battery trickle charger to keep the battery up when its cold they dont have much power(colder temps less amps). I find if I don't start with the first two tries it will need a boost(glow plugs suck down the battery fast) with a brand new 900CCA battery -40cel plugged in two hours. You have to plug them in here at least 4 hours in the worst of the winter. A hour plugged in makes no difference at all when its very cold. It snowed just north of here today. Just two days ago it was 28cel. By wednesday it will be probably 30, hotter then hell. I hate pulling wrenches in the heat!! This summer is going to be damn hot!! If you live in the southern states get rid of you block heater you will never ever need it. We never plug in here with diesels till its about -10 or -15cel and gassers about -20cel. Its a waste of electricity, I think the VW block heater is 300watts. At 40 deg F its a nice day to me =5cel. I would never bother dragging a cord out in the driveway :twisted: We would have to buy a new block heater every year if we plugged in for warm weather as well. Also I heard a guy say no idling when the enigne is cold. Well we do idle here. Some people with diesels will idle all day here when its very cold, there are guys up in the artic that will idle all winter(school buses for exmaple) if they shut of they have to be towed in to deforst, oil turns to tar), you just have to run on high idle.
It don't get that cold for that long of a peroid of time where I am at, only two of three weeks of the year of that.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I was up at the Ekati Diamond mine in the North West Territories. Where everything runs on diesel. They haul it all in on the ice road in the winter. They have a lot of Ford diesel truck that idle all day. But about every 10 minutes they rev up automatically. The first time it happened I nearly jump out of my skin. I thought someone was trying to run me over. But I guess it a system they have installed on their vehicles to counteract the bad effects of idling for long periods of time.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

Ah yes, wet stacking. Apparently, unburnt fuel gets pushed into the exhaust system which is not good for emissions nor for your turbo as it combines with the soot and makes a nasty tarlike substance... yum.

Different engines are more or less susceptible to this issue... never heard of it happening with a VW diesel, but I suppose it's possible.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)