Please help with a dumb question

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Thebfkid
Glow Plug

Please help with a dumb question

Post by Thebfkid »

This is probably a dumb question but i have a 85 N/A 1.6 diesel does anybody know where the thermostat is located. I pulled off the main top hose that leads from the RAD to the block where it usualy is and its not their. Can anybody please help me out before i go riping off every coolant hose.
85 Jetta coupe 5sp Diesel
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Inside the thermostat housing at the base of the water pump (lower rad hose)

ie inside #2 in this picture:

http://www.oneilcastro.com/A2Bentley/GE02/ch4.1.1.html
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

I never knew you could find things like that on the net for FREE??!! Can you check out any car on that site? I have spent hours and days looking for free tech info on many cars that I have had problems wth and can never find anything like that.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

A1-2-A3 wrote:I never knew you could find things like that on the net for FREE??!! Can you check out any car on that site? I have spent hours and days looking for free tech info on many cars that I have had problems wth and can never find anything like that.
I believe this is an illegal copy. I know of another website just like that, that was eventually taken down for copyright violations. I expect this one won't last too long, either.

A legal online source of repair information is the "EBSCO Auto Repair Reference Center". It's not usually free, but as it happens my local library has some deal where I can type in my library card number and get in for free. Comes in handy but let me tell you, it's no Bentley. More like a Haynes with almost no illustrations. But, it's still pretty cool to just hop online when your friend trashes his Ford transmission and wants to see if it's a shadetree mechanic job (it ain't!!).

So check your library's website...
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Yeah it's a dodgy copy on a dodgy site... everyone should own their own Bentley.... worth every penny.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Well thanks for the link anyways, its saved to the browser as favs and I will use it all I can. I have on eof those haynes manuals, its pretty much crap. Its like a guide for idiots. The only thing usefull in the haynes is torque specs.