Duraterm Plugs

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

coke

Duraterm Plugs

Post by coke »

I think them cheap Autolite glow plugs I ended up putting in my car (only thing I had, and no money around to be found) have finally burnt out.

Anyone tried the Duraterm plugs? How do they compare to the regular bosch glow plugs?

I plan on wiring up a ford solenoid on a push button switch so I have total control, but just wondering about the overall benefits to the duraterm plugs. Especially in cold weather starting.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

BOSCH Duraterms.

Post by hagar »

Bosch " Duraterm " glowplugs. ---- why did Bosch design them in the first place ? I
suspect it was asked for by VW ---because the TURBOS would not pass on the smoke issues
in Germany.
The difference between the OLD system plugs and the NEW system is mainly in the fact that the new ones " Duraterm " has a built in regulator element in series with the heater. giving an ON time of 3 minutes on the duty cycle.
I have done a LOT of testing on glowplugs--SO ? ---at hagars nothing will do if it is not a " Duraterm " ---ALL mine were made in FRANCE-EU. ---superb plug IMHO. , by the way I never glow them anyway near 3 minutes , at any one time.

hagar.

PS : coke get the REAL thing , and how did your free I P work out ?
coke

Post by coke »

Thats what I wanted to know. Free IP worked out good. Im getting around 43-45 miles per gallon give or take. My 5th gear isn't the best, AWY transmission. But its good.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

I'm using Duraterms in a slow relay configuration... no problems. Something reassuring about the name Bosch on a VW.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
Buzz
Cetane Booster

Post by Buzz »

I asked Jack if his plugs were Duraterms, but never received a reply. Does anyone know if his are? If not, can someone list a supplier of Duraterms? I don't believe that this would be a violation of the forum rules if Jack doesn't supply them...
1982 Diesel Rabbit
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

ad

Post by Fatmobile »

I'm not sure what kind of plugs Jack sells, I'm guessing he carries bosch and I don't think bosch sells anything less than duraterms. The last pack I bought said duraterm on the box but not the individual glowplug boxes like they used to,... same parts guy.
I don't believe that this would be a violation of the forum rules if Jack doesn't supply them...
That kind of make sense but it's not cool to list a vender on this forum, that sells everything Jack does and more.
The internet is full of ways to find venders, if Jack doesn't carry something you want.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

IMHO JACK sells "DURATERMS"

Post by hagar »

All BOSCH glowplugs today are "DURATERM" the OLD style plugs are no longer made, --SO if FATSO got BOSCH plugs from JACK ? that is what he sells for VW use.--IMHO.

The finest glowplug I ever saw --- and I saw a LOT of different designs.

my 2 cents Kanadian.

hagar.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Duraterms.

Post by hagar »

hagar the bearer of good news about GLOW Plugs. . I have written a lot of GLOWING reports about the " DURATERM " --- it really is a wonderplug. ---on vwcaddys homepage you can find a lot of inf. related to plugs and timing systems.---I am hopelessly in LOVE with Rabbits.---BUT will never say ANYTHING good about the electrical systems --never no how.

However I am well qualified to do a ---a Hail Mary ? around the wiring and timing..

The Duraterm's came out at the right time for me ---my 1982 1.6L NA has a lazy cylinder on a frosty morning I use manual control to it warms up using afterglow. Simple job to install a small starter relay and a push-button. .The VOW -Audi relay 321 911 261--is GARBAGE ---MHO.

hagar.

PS : NO electrical problem will ever stop Fraulein Bunny Bondo or any of her sisters --read my lips.
coke

Post by coke »

When I order the Duraterm plugs and put them in, I'm also installing a Ford E350 starter solenoid (Simple 12v solenoid, can handle big load) and a push button so I HAVE CONTROL of when my plugs are on and when they aren't.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

Is a glow plug a glow plug? Like its either working new. worn or not working. Whats the big deal about duratherm. Its not like the engine needs them to stay running like a sparkplug. The engine needs them to start cold and thats it. I have only replaced one set of glowplugs after running them for a year they were still just fine(also they were 11 years old in the bush before I brought the car back to life, so who knows who old they really were) I think I put in bosch glowplugs and they work great. DO these duratherms give my VW super powers? What do they really do over the other major leading brand? Tide vs sunlight? Who wins?
Maybe someone will clue me in.
Caddyman
Cetane Booster

Post by Caddyman »

I haven't got my two rabbits running yet but I'm getting very close on my silver one. I've always heard good things about the reliability and longevity of the Bosch glow plugs. I would personally like to try a set of NGK glow plugs, but I don't know if the extra $14 a plug is justifiable.
coke

Post by coke »

A1-2-A3 wrote:Is a glow plug a glow plug? Like its either working new. worn or not working. Whats the big deal about duratherm. Its not like the engine needs them to stay running like a sparkplug. The engine needs them to start cold and thats it. I have only replaced one set of glowplugs after running them for a year they were still just fine(also they were 11 years old in the bush before I brought the car back to life, so who knows who old they really were) I think I put in bosch glowplugs and they work great. DO these duratherms give my VW super powers? What do they really do over the other major leading brand? Tide vs sunlight? Who wins?
Maybe someone will clue me in.
The duraterms are supposed to last longer, and be able to stay on longer without burning out to aid with combustion in colder climates. So yes, they are better in that respect, since most cars with them run them for about 2-3 minutes after a cold start to aid with combustion.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Here's how I look at it... changing out glow plugs is an unpleasant job, particularly in the middle of the winter when you need them the most.

Ergo, I'd prefer the best plugs money can buy so that I only have to do the job once every 10 years or so. Never heard of Autolite plugs lasting more than a few seasons, and people seem to have mixed luck with Beru... Duraterm represents the current generation of design.... and they are only 17 bucks a piece... why not !!!

I buy KS pistons and bearings for the same reason... only want to buy 'em once every 10 years or so. Same for Mann filters, Stanadyne diesel additive, G12 antifreeze, Continental belts, Yokohama tires, Roland pianos, Fender basses, Zildjian cymbals, Weller soldering irons, and Levi 501s....

But that's just me.... I do buy generic windshield washer fluid !

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Duraterm,

Post by hagar »

What is SO special about " Duraterms " ? just about everything. ---the patent may have run out by now ----yes more money ---they will be # 1 at hagars till someone makes a better one.----ever changed # 1 and lost the little nut down the BLACK hole ?------lot of us OLD timers have.---SO ? we know the value of Duraterms---EH ?---why are they called DURA ?---simple they are durable , they last and last and GLOW and glow----read my lips.

hagar sez , they are worth the extra money ---and that is GOSPEL ---I did not graduate summa cum laude --first in my class ----a total dummy ? EH ?----ask vwcaddy he knows ---I call him Charlie Brown ---but he is Roger Brown northern Kalifornia.----yes I shall answer any question about electrical ---so you can see if I know what I am talking about----anything.

hagar.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The Duraterms are particularly unique in that the have a built-in resistor whose resistance is proportional to temp. Therefore, the plug heats up quickly, yet does not burn itself out. Self-regulating with regard to temp. Sooo, they don't burn out or at least not as soon. I have only had problems with glowplugs that were not Bosch.

Andrew