Overheated for pete's sake

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

grinbeans
Glow Plug

Overheated for pete's sake

Post by grinbeans »

Pete is nowhere to be *****ing found or i'd beat his ass.
My wife is driving our 82 westy with the turbo jetta engine in it. The temp gauge goes hot, light is flashing and the rear is smoking. no good. of course she does not call me, she tries to start it again and eventually gets it going. :oops: she drives a little more, maybe 5 miles and parks it in the driveway. The next day she tells me it wont start. great. when i get home sure enough theres no coolant in it. Im no mechanic. can someone break it to me lightly how much damage could have been done and is there any chance in hell this could be an inexspensive lesson in dont ever let this happen againville'.

82' westy
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

overheat

Post by Fatmobile »

I'd say the least damage would be the head gasket but the head is probably warped. Rings could have lost their temper if it got too hot.
Sorry I didn't get the low coolant level warning light circuit finished yet... Westys didn't come with one?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

The flashing light was likely the low coolant warning.

When this happened to me I had to replace the head, coolant flanges, etc (everything that got very hot) but the bottom end was fine.. did rings while I was at it of course.

No way to know for sure... you could do a quick compression test to find out, but your best bet is to pull the head since you'll want to trust this thing on long trips again someday.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

'82 vanagon did not have the coolant level sensor. The '83 did along with a host of other significant improvements.

Andrew
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Ah yes.... someone knows his Westies !!! :wink:

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
grinbeans
Glow Plug

Post by grinbeans »

Thanks yall, I guess Ill just tow it down to the local vw shop. is there any kindof test i can perform to asess the damage? This bus may have been upgraded with an 83 instrument panel then bc it does have the coolant light and gauge, but the vin is an 82.
Thanks agrin everyone

82 westy
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The '83 would have a 5-speed stock. If '82, the gauge is present as is the light, it just functions as a too hot-"pull over now" light. The '82 wiring is missing the level sensor "control unit", the sensor itself and the provision for it in the reservoir tank. It does have the plug in the engine bay, and so fitting the control unit, a newer reservoir and wiring it in is not hard and a very good upgrade.

Andrew

PS Your wife needs to know to "pull over when she sees red", it never gets easier or less expensive.
coke

Post by coke »

My father and I had just tightened the alternator/waterpump/ belt on my 90 jetta before my wife took it to go to her doctors appointment. My father called me 3 minutes later (I was on my way back to work) and let me know he found the shattered remains of what appeared to be a belt where my car was sitting. My alternator light and coolant light flashed the whole trip to the doctors office (5 miles away) and my wife never had enough sense to pull over and stop. :)
grinbeans
Glow Plug

Post by grinbeans »

The mechanic tells me that if there is no more compression left, the engine will have to be scraped. is this true? he says if the head is warped, its not worth rebuilding b/c no machine shop around here knows what there doing. I just find this hard to believe. how hard is it to replace the head and rings? I have very little mechanic experience, this does not sound like something a novice can pull off. or is it? does anyone know any forums that discuss head replacement? :?

82 westy
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

your mechanic is 50% correct, normally when engines get this hot they are pretty messed up and not worth the time, Except VW diesels that get great mileage. And he is correct about the head- vw heads don't take to heat well and will warp plus cracks between the valves. Here is what i did to fix a friends VW after he hit a varmint and knocked a coolant hose off only he kept it floored until the thing slowed to a stop and seized tight.

1. pull engine and examine head, likely way out of spec- find used head
2. pull pistons and examine, if ok hone the block and replace with new rings from this page, they are OEM direct parts.
3. machine the top of the block back to factory spec. Use new head gasket form this page, again Jack sells genuine VW parts that don't fail.
4. Always replace all bearings and crispy seals

My friends got so hot it caused the pistons to become badly damaged with melting above the top ring, and major scuffing where they expanded and "grabbed" the cylinder. The piston pin to piston Bering was also scarred up bad
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

hot

Post by Fatmobile »

I did this to one of my Rabbits.
All the coolant drained out and I kept driving.
When it finally stopped the gauge didn't even read in the red, there wasn't a warning light for overheat or low coolant.
I didn't see anything wrong with the pistons except the ring grooves were sloppy,... probably just a high mileage thing, you'll have that.
The head is another story. it was too warped but the cracks between the valves weren't very big,... so I had it heated, bent straight and line bored,... then line bored again this time correctly. New seats, exhaust valves, guides, seals, etc... and had is surfaced.
You can probably get your head fixed, I can't remember how much it cost me for an NA 12mm headbolt head.
We're going to have to figure out a Murphy switch with a verbal countdown to when the engine is going to shut off :) .
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

What someone should make is a low coolant, high coolant temp, low oil pressure warninig light and engine protection system, it would flash red/stop or amber/caution depending on the condtions and then shut the engine off after so many seconds coupled with a annoying warning buzzer. Thats what the big diesels have but all controlled from the EECU.
A guy could make a simple one with relays, timers, sensors and whatnot.
It would be crazy. Sometimes a simple idoit light is not good enough for idoits behind the wheel. Maybe a electric shock to the driver somehow?? :twisted:
3Bunnys
Turbo Charger

Post by 3Bunnys »

YUP..had this happen to me also... The problem is catastrophic loss of coolant, typically a lower radiator hose fails, not just a leak, a blow out and you lose all your coolant in one minute. Your temperature sender then dutifully reports the "Air" temperature in your coolant system as all the liquid normally in contact with the sensor is gone. Air not being a good transmitter of head and block temperature then dutifully tells your temperature gauge everything is A-OK as your engine temperatures skyrockets. Almost the same thing that happens in a pressurized water reactor that loses all its coolant!!!!!!
CLUES...... You notice a puff of steam from under the hood as your going down the road or all of a sudden your heater isn't producing heat (course that only works in winter!!)
CHEAP Insurance.....replace radiator hoses every so often, especially the lower one on the water pump, it sees the most abuse and is exposed to highest temperatures of all hoses.
regards Richard
FineFrank
Turbo Charger

Post by FineFrank »

Sometimes a simple idoit light is not good enough for idoits behind the wheel. Maybe a electric shock to the driver somehow??
I've seen a small round marker light installed in a VW bug used offroad. I was connected to the oil pressure switch. It seems like a good idea, if a bit ugly.