FUEL gauge/ TEMP gauge failure simultaneously

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

stueveone
Cetane Booster

FUEL gauge/ TEMP gauge failure simultaneously

Post by stueveone »

Hey guys,
What would cause a fuel gauge and temp gauge failure simultaneously? I'm thinking fuse, but when I checked the Bentley, it didn't mention a shared fuse for fuel and temp. I'm going to go start pulling fuses right now. I'll let you know what I come up with.

stueve
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Gauge failures.

Post by hagar »

On Rabbits it is the ----voltage regulater and or assoiated wiring --a bad ground will do it.---test regulator that is apple pie.

hagar.
stueveone
Cetane Booster

Post by stueveone »

Where is the voltage regulator?

I just checked for fuses, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I DID take out the instrument cluster last night to fix the trip/od cog. Just to clarify, there is only 1 wire harness that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster right? As in, in total, on a 1981, there are two things that need to be disconnected: the speedo line and the wireharness. The system WAS working when I put it all back together. So I don't think I messed with anything while it was apart.
I don't know.

How do you test the regulator? I'm sure it's in the Bentley, but while we are here

:wink:
stueveone
Cetane Booster

Post by stueveone »

So this morning my gauges worked!? Short or regulator or relay?
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

flaky connection probably. Those leaf connectors on the cluster plug can get oxidized and make intermittent connections, sometimes plugging them in and out a few times will clean up the contacts. Temperature changes can make a difference too, causing things to move around at the microscopic level, restoring a tempermental connection (or making it fail)

Same goes for a bad solder joint like on the regulator that lives on the cluster circuit card. In my career (electronics manufacturing), we have brought many old circuit cards back to life by desoldering and resoldering all the solder joints on a board. It's a bit time consuming but if you don't have access to a replacement it can be a life saver.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
busguy71
Cetane Booster

Post by busguy71 »

mine were both non-funcitonal when I bought the car......then a few weeks later they both came back on. problem solved 8)
1971 VW bus camper
1965 VW beetle undergoing a chop top
2000 yamaha roadstar
1984 Rabbit 2-door diesel
...want to build a VW diesel auto motorcycle

I may be slow but I'm ahead of you!
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

next time you have your instrument panel off.... clean the contacts for the main multi-connector on both sides being careful not to remove any of the thin metal printed circuit. You could use alcohol or any suitable contact cleaner.

I think the trouble is in the connections.

Be sure the nuts on the two instruments are secure at the same time.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

If everything on the dash goes wonky it is usually the big connector to the cluster, but if it is just the temp and fuel gauges their common point of failure is the voltage regulator and/or (most often) the press-fit connectors to the voltage regulator.

Vince
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs